Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group: Confidence

(Always forget about this until I see someone else post.)

Since starting my writing journey I have learned a lot about myself. I learned I could write a book and publish it. I learned I could format. I learned I don't have a melt down when I get a low review (I just get a little drunk.) I learned that my writing has improved. I learned I can point out passive voice. Lots of positive stuff I have learned along the way, but there's also been a few negative things I've learned.

Like the fact I really have no confidence. You look at Being Human's page on goodreads and you'll see I have mostly four an five star ratings and good reviews. Every month I sell books and so far no one has blasted me in a review as a horrible writer. Even my lower reviews have noted something they enjoyed or thought was well done. But still, I tend to sit here waiting for the ball to drop and people realize I'm not that good. When people tell me they loved my writing I find it hard to believe. My writing buddy, Daniel A. Kaine, even asked me about it one day (when I was ranting him) and my reply was, "No, I have no confidence in myself."


You see, it's easy to fake confidence online. I can put smiley faces in my tweets or LOL and everything is fine and dandy. Even though it's not. I'm just as terrified thinking about approaching a book blogger to review my book today as I was when I first published Being Human. I've shied away from submitting to places that others have, quick to assume they won't want to feature me because I have the bare minimum requirements for their site. Others have talked about going to schools to talk to do a reading, or even going to a weekly writer's group. All that stuff just terrifies me.

I do manage though. I suck it up and hire someone to organize a blog tour with lots of reviews. I've even submitted the book to a few sites to be featured. I talk and tweet to people, face to face I am not a talker at all. If you knew me in real life you'd be shocked at how chatty I get on twitter. Blogging is easy too because I get to hide behind a computer screen.

I am an introvert to the core. You have to drag me kicking and screaming into the spotlight. It makes it hard. I do want my writing to be read and enjoyed, but I'm working against my nature.

PS: For my Z post for the A to Z challenge I'm giving away a signed copy of my book. You should go enter. It will help build my confidence. ;)

13 comments:

  1. In my writers group yesterday, we had a discussion about marketing our books and I didn't have anything to contribute as I'm not in that position yet but I already know I'm going to be an utter failure when I am in that position because I too am an introvert to the core.

    Going to enter your giveaway now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, marketing is turning out to be the hardest part for me.

      Delete
  2. My confidence is half one way and half the other. I laughed at the getting drunk over reviews thing. Maybe I should. Great on selling books every month. The great thing about social networking, us writers no longer have to go this bumpy ride alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I couldn't do this alone and meeting ppl online is so much easier for me to do than meet ppl in real life.

      Delete
  3. you are a great story teller because you show yourself! you write and publish and create, you even stand out with your green hair =)

    you do what you have to do and dont let anyone see how you feel, like you said faking confidence.

    well, i think you're doing great and if you fake it long enough it will soon be real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks. That makes my confidence feel better.

      Delete
  4. I'm right there with you. I'm an introvert too. I even have a hard time adding someone as a friend on places. It's not because I don't want to. It's because I figure they won't accept the request. I do the same for my books. It's so much easier to promote other people's books than my own. Hopefully we'll find that confidence we should have. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have an easier time promoting others as well.

      Delete
  5. Maybe you don't need confidence. Maybe all you need is strength. And a few friends.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! I have a few friends and they tell me I'm pretty good too. =D

      Delete
  6. I haven't met a writer who hasn't struggled with confidence. You write a story thinking it is the best story in the world then you go off and read other people's stories and it knocks you down to a different level.

    Look on the bright side. While it might help to have a little bit of confidence, at least you won't struggle with being overly confident. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. I will never slack off because I think everything I write is too good. lol

      Delete
  7. I suspect anyone who has a creative streak has struggles with confidence to one degree or another. I know that I have.

    ReplyDelete