Friday, April 27, 2012

Your Goals

A slight problem I had when signing up for the A to Z challenge was would I be able to get my Are You Writing Now? post in at the end of the month? I didn't want to cheat, but then I got inspiration as you can see by the post title. Go me!

Okay, for those of you visiting from the challenge and don't know what AYWN is. The intention is to set monthly goals and at the end of the month blog about those goals, whether or not you've achieved them or not and visit other blogs participating and give them encouragement and support for their goals. You can also tweet the hashtag #AYWN to find blog posts or tweet encouragement.

It's a small group so far and our posts tend to be sporadic. But it's been helpful to me. I'm not one to set goals so I wasn't sure if I'd even be able to keep them. My first month, I was happy to report I had reached all my goals. Next month, I scraped my goals for completely new ones that I met. This past month, my goals... well, I did good and bad.

I wanted to reread Being Vampire and the third Influence short to see if Inspiration sparked. I didn't get a chance to read Being Vampire any, but I did read the Influence short and added about 1000 words to it. I also wanted to rewrite an older story and I picked Leaves of Fall. I have about 20,000 left on it, but hit a snag with a plot hole I'm not sure I can fix. Am planning on rewriting from that spot from scratch with only the basic plot in mind. Still, a goal almost reached. Last goal was the A to Z challenge. I know what my Z post will be so I'm calling that goal achieved.

Overall, not too bad. Didn't help that I got distracted by a shiny new idea. That's okay because that will be one of my goals for this month: Finish shiny new story idea. I am also going to roll over the goals I didn't achieve last month. So try to read what I have on Being Vampire and see if inspiration sparks and try to finish the rest of Leaves of Fall.

14 comments:

  1. I thought I left a comment but now I'm not sure if I did or not or if Blogger's just being strange, so if this is my second comment, sorry for repeating myself but...

    This sounds like a great group. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me go look if Blogger ate your comment. It has a few and I never look at spam comments until someone says something and then I find about 4 or 5 posts that are months old and not spam. >.<

      Delete
  2. AYWN is a great idea! Unfortunately, I only write well and often when it is a super sekrit thing. If a single individual asks me, "How is your writing going?", I go into a self-hatred spiral. It's not pretty.

    Anywho! I'm going to spread the word about it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be like that and still kinda am. I got used to writing with my hubby in the same room, but he's over at his own computer. If he's next to me, I can't write because I feel like he's looking over my shoulder.

      Delete
  3. I hate goals. I write and do stuff every day, and it adds up--that's the way I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to do that too, but it's nice to have a goal to work towards.

      Delete
  4. Patricia, I am glad that I have joined this group. I don't usually set goals and plod along from month to month and time passes. This month I set my goals and stuck with them. I have also decided on some long term deadlines and hopefully will stand by them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad we decided to do this too. It's quite nice setting goals and achieving them. Plus, I can set goals that don't overwhelm me (which is my problem when people talk deadlines or NaNo) and can work on the whole month.

      Delete
  5. I'm almost tempted to sign up for next month, but with my sister's wedding just around the corner, I don't see myself hitting any daily word counts anytime soon. :(

    I'm a fellow A-Z participant, and it looks like we're almost at the finish line:

    http://michaelabayomi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a monthly thing and by no means required. You can still sign up and participate whenever you find time. Lor does weekly AYWN posts because of how she defines her goals. Gwen and I just decided monthly wouldn't be overwhelming.

      Delete
  6. That's the best when you kill two birds with one stone by fitting in a scheduled meme to the A to Z challenge. I had to get creative to host two cover reveals this month, ha ha. It's wonderful to have some support and accountability in reaching your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sort of fell apart with my goals in April. Between the challenge and having my nephew here 4-5 days a week, and just a million other things...yeah, not so good. I'm really hoping I can get back on track in May. I'm going to be writing my recap/AYWN post tonight to post tomorrow, I just need to figure out what my goals are first! lol

    I'm super proud of you for finish A to Z, and hooray for shiny new ideas! That was part of my problem in April too, but I'll talk about that in my blog post. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloha Patricia,

    Found you via M.J.'s blog and have signed up for AYWN.

    Great idea and looking forward to getting my goals posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aloha Mark. Thanks for joining our little group. =D

    ReplyDelete