Monday, April 23, 2012

Unaffordable

In the past week I have heard something multiple times. First from a friend and another in a comment on someone else's blog. It's the idea that to self publish you have to spend a lot of money.

That's not entirely true.

Yes, you can spend a couple thousand dollars to get your story self published, but you can also only spend a few hundred. To publish Being Human, I spend under $500. I found a cover artist that did an amazing job at a low cost. I formatted myself because it's really not that hard. Tedious and time consuming, but not that hard if you can follow directions. For editing, I had a bunch of writers read through it and critique it. In my research, that's the part that really drives up the price. Hiring an editor can cost $500 and up. I didn't have that kind of money so I utilized beta readers. What editing service I did pay for was proofreading. I am hopeless with it comes to comma usage and knew I'd need help, but didn't have any friends who knew where to put the commas. Most editing services break their services down so if you just want proofreading, you can get it for a lower cost.

So, yes, you can spend a bit of cash getting your book ready to be published, but if you shop around and dig deep enough, you might find a way to save some cash for the same results. Also, don't rule out learning how to do things yourself. A lot of people say you shouldn't self edit, but if you understand the rules, don't be shy to give it a shot. You may be better than you thought and if you're worried you're not, then go ahead and hire someone to double check your work.

9 comments:

  1. That's interesting. I tend to forget about those sorts of costs. Editing/proofing would be something I'd want to get done if I self-published. I think as SP gets bigger more services for that will spring up, hopefully driving the price down.

    mood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, the self publishing community is really good about helping each other out or bartering.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely. I've been making connections and doing some editing as bartering myself in exchange. It's good to do that, and to think of it as a long term prospect.

      Delete
  2. Interesting post! I've never looked into the behind-the-scenes part of self-publishing. Good luck with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just one person doing all the things a traditional publisher would take care of. Some people like doing it, others like having someone else do that while they write. That's why I think traditional and self publishing don't need to fight for writers. There's enough willing to go either way.

      Delete
  3. I get that a lot too - people who think self-publishing costs a small fortune. If you're able to do things yourself, it really doesn't have to be that much. My budget was next to nothing, and I did the entire thing for less than $20. Literally the only thing I paid for was rights to my cover image and some of the photos used in my book trailer. I designed the cover, did the formatting, worked out an arrangement with a professional editor who was just starting out and needed a reference, had several beta readers, and I did everything else myself. I really do recommend that people hire an editor or work something out like I did, because that's one of the main stigmas still attached to self-publishing - poorly edited books. My budget for book #2 isn't much bigger than it was for book #1, so I'm not looking forward to finding an editor, but I know it's necessary, at least for me. Beta readers are really handy, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, way to go, Marie. If you can work out a deal w/ people, give testimony or reviews and/or something for their portfolio then that definitely helps cut down the costs.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Marie. I did the entire thing for less than $20, and that was to buy the rights to use the pictures in the cover art. If you make the right connections, you can get a lot of help. A friend designed my covers. I used several CPs to look over the work as well as a couple beta readers. I'm a freelance editor, so I feel like I know what I'm doing on the grammar end of things. My biggest concern was formatting, but it was much easier than I thought it would be.

    Of course, different people have different strengths and need different things. Some will need to put more money into a work. Others won't. The key is to be as professional as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear people can do this on the cheep, because I'm planning on joining this bandwagon and Patrica I just don't have $500. But I have photoshop ^_^ Cover, here we come!

    ReplyDelete