Sunday, April 22, 2012

Torture

No, put away those whips and chains. I'm not talking that kind of torture. I'm talking the kind of torture authors do to their readers by posting little teasers of their writing. Something that I am guilty on occasion. Not as bad as some authors though. *Glares at Vicktor and Murphy*

I love reading teasers. I also hate reading them. It all depends on how soon the book in question will be released. Near future, I will read and eagerly await the rest of the book. A few months down the road and I am cursing the author for tormenting me. Why, oh why must you do this to me? What have I ever done but give you my hubby's hard earned money?

But teasers are important though. They let the reader know what's to come and build suspense. Wait, what just happened? Why is this character and that character fighting? What is going on? I want to know now! Gimmiegimmiegimmiegimmie! Yeah, you get the picture.

Of course, as long as you don't over do it. Post too many teasers and you've pretty much given the whole story away in chunks and pieces. Let me just piece that together and there's the story. One or two scenes might be missing, but they were probably too boring and that's why they didn't get posted.

Teasers are a good way to entice readers to pre-order or buy on release day. But hot damn, are they ever annoying. ;) What teaser did you read that made you drool and want the book now? Comment and I'll pick one person to send a signed bookmark to.

5 comments:

  1. *snicker* If it makes you feel better, methinks once I move and start working (and have a permanent place past the summer to live in), I'll be saving up for attempting publishing. In the meantime... lotsa work to do and lotsa research on the subject. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a little better. Although, I can't really read your teasers you post on your one blog because reading on a black background messes with my eyes. >.o

      Delete
  2. I tend to avoid teasers, because I don't always have the money or time to get a new book. But sometimes they're at the beginning of books, like before the title page, and I always read those and enjoy them. That's what makes me start the book right then instead of just deciding which one to start when I have the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's one reason I avoid too. Can't buy the book and don't want to torture myself.

      Delete
  3. I've done that myself from time to time, dropping hints....

    ReplyDelete