Thursday, April 26, 2012

eXcited!

I think out of the whole A to Z challenge, X is the evilest word. Last year, that was my X post. How evil the letter X was. LOL

Anyways, for the past few months when it came to story ideas, I had none. Nada, zip, zero. It was very depressing. Especially with everyone else talking about getting new ideas all the time. Where were mine? Had my creativity dried up? At least I had finished and partial WIPs to keep me busy, I told myself. Snapshots and Out of Secrets have some changes that need to be made, and I'm getting close to finishing rewriting Leaves of Fall. But of course, all those WIPs have recently been pushed aside by, you guessed it, shiny new idea!

The idea came from the A to Z challenge and the blog Pixies Don't Have Wings. I love learning about different mythical creatures and there is a new one every day at PDHW. N's post really stuck with me and soon gears began to turn. What if if a young neck/näck/näkki/nøkk (there's a few different names) was found abandoned by a river and adopted by humans who didn't know he wasn't one of them? What if he grew up with a fierce love of water and music? What if he was also really angry? All these questions turned into a story and Puck was born.

Now you should know, Puck is not mischievous at all and the fact he has the same name as a mischievous fairy in English folklore annoys him to no end. Also, the mythology behind neck/näck/näkki/nøkk doesn't say anything about them being angry but say they have shape shifting abilities. That's just me tweaking the mythology a bit. I hope to explain why the myths on neck/näck/näkki/nøkk he finds is going to differ from how he is as part of the story. I'm just excited to be writing a new story again, that no, I haven't lost my creativity, and that I have a topic for my X post. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to torture Puck a bit more.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I love new ideas! Good luck with Puck the neck/näck/näkki/nøkk ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Grats on the shiny new idea!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we get our character ideas in the strangest of places.

    Try to go gently whilst torturing Puck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If by gently you mean make him panic and think he's dying then absolutely! =D

      Delete