Sunday, March 4, 2012

Self Destructive Book Behavior

I have an admission. Sometimes I don't market my book the way I should. I don't try as hard as I should. For example, one recommendation I was given was to get involved on Goodreads. Not to constantly hawk my book, but to interact with people, friends, and find potential readers. And I have a handful of groups I am a member of and quite a few friends I've made that way, but my interactions in the group tend to fall off the face of the earth.

Another marketing tool I slack off on is social media. I have my facebook page set up to when I have new blog posts it automatically posts there, but that's about all that happens. I forget to do status updates or attempt to start discussions. On twitter I'm really bad about following people back. It's not because I don't think we have nothing in common, it's just I don't see how anyone can keep up with a thousand followers - even with lists. It seems kind of pointless to follow people and then never interact with them. I already have people on my following list that I barely interact with. I try though. Every so often I go through my following list and follow people back in hopes of meeting someone new to tweet with. Or find a new book. ^^;;

I guess sometimes it all feels very pointless because it's not like I have a huge fanbase. If I create a Q&A group for my book will anyone join or discuss my book? But by not doing things like that I'm not giving my fans a place to gather or something to talk about. I am hurting myself and my book by not doing these things. I need to stop worrying about how few readers I have if I want my reader base to grow. Or I need someone to give me a good, swift kick to get me going.

10 comments:

  1. WOMAN! Socialize with your fan base... Should I make bogus accounts to get things going? XD I'll totally do it! Hmm? Oh yeah one more thing... WORK ON YOUR GOALS! >.< Don't make me get the riding boots out... I'll do it! I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine once I get published I'll *sigh* have to go back to Facebook and put up an author page. Otherwise Facebook seems like one humongous time waster. Twitter? I show up once in a great while. As for my blog, I feel like I'm pulling teeth sometimes. I want to interact with my readers but honestly, the introvert in me in cringing big time. Still...I've started replying to comments, which is a start in my view.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is, I understand completely. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty bad too. Social media, socializing, takes time. And I can't interact with everyone on Twitter on the potential they'd be part of my fan base. And really, do you think JK Rowling follows back everyone who follows her? I figure if I'm engaging and people like what I say/post, even if my interaction is minimal, I'll be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I don't think JK Rowling even looks at her twitter. I heard she got it only so ppl would know that was really hers and not a fake account.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think some sites are more useful then others. Having a facebook author's page is fine, twitter's good, but all I use it for are links. It's more about interacting with your readers for blogs that helps, otherwise you're going to completely lose readers.

    One site that's come up recently that I think is just a waste of time: Pinterest. Surefire way to lose a lot of time....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've mentioned this tons of times, but I find Twitter to be one of the best social networking tools for an author. If you're worried about not being able to talk with everyone, don't. You don't have to talk to everyone! You a twitter client like hootsuite or tweetdeck and you can put people into lists and then follow those lists or specific hashtags in addition to your main group of everyone. Those columns are super handy. Also, look to some of the weekly chats and try to make time for them on occasion. You will get to talk to other writers but also publishers and agents and editors. It can be an amazing resource, but yes, you have to put some time in to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God. I obviously need an editor. USE a client. Not You... *facepalm*

      Delete
    2. I do use the lists. I just hate following a person and then never speaking to them. Bugs me when people I used to talk to, I don't have a reason to talk to. I'm weird. lol

      Delete
  7. I'm bad too. I have all these different pages and groups and...That I sometimes feel so overwhelmed that I don't get to any of them. And I follow like 500 blogs! :-) And now following yours too! Just keep trying, it'll all work out in the end...I hope!

    ReplyDelete