Sunday, March 11, 2012

Bratty characters and writing changes

This past weekend hubby and I went to stay with friends for the weekend. Naturally, we brought the laptop, but I didn't plan on doing any writing or editing. If anything, I figured I'd knit a bit while we watched a movie or hubby and his co-worker played video games. Writing wasn't completely ruled out, just not expected.

Friday night, we all laid down for bed, tuckered out and guess who decided to talk a bit. Drew. He rewrote a part of the story and decided to tell me when the laptop was off, I was half asleep and wasn't about to get up to find my notebook. What a brat! Thankfully, the next day when I got a chance, I summarized the changes. Of course, Drew hasn't said a peep since. Maybe when I'm falling asleep tonight. That really seems to be the only time I get inspiration for Being Vampire.

Not only do I have that change to write, but another Being Vampire inspired change. A few months ago I sent the first draft of Out of Secrets to my writing partner, MaryBeth. The one thing that really threw her off of the story was the vampires in Secrets are completely different from the vampires in Being Human. It was hard for her to get into these vampires after reading about Tommy. Since I hadn't started Being Vampire, I decided to shelf Secrets with the intention of publishing it after Being Vampire.

The thing is, what MaryBeth said has stuck with me. Maybe instead of leaving Secrets with vampires I should use another mythical creature. Or a variation on vampires. After all, there are tons of other mythical creatures to choose from, and I'm sure there's bound to be a few that are vampire-like but not vampires. The one that's looking really good is Strigoi. They are a nice twist on vampires that I will be able to tweak and blur to fit Secrets. This way I don't have to wait until I finish Being Vampire to work on or get Secrets published. It's like a win, win, win!

6 comments:

  1. drew has no respect for his author, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like having at least two stories to rotate through. When I actually remind myself to write. Glad Drew pipped up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's good I have a few finished stories that need editing that I can turn to. =)

      Delete
  3. I love it when a solution to a story problem comes to me. The Strigoi sound like a good choice for Secrets. Will you have to change things to explain the Romanian connection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to reread the story and look into the Stigoi a little more so see exactly what will need to change and what can stay the same. ^^

      Delete