Thursday, February 23, 2012

Life and Writing

This past weekend I did not write at all. I had writing that needed to be done, the ending to Being Vampire is drawing near, but writing just wasn't an option. Something a bit more important was on my mind. This past Monday I had to go to the hospital for a Laparoscopy.

I have never had any kind of surgery before. My visits to hospitals have been minor. The biggest thing I had ever had done at a hospital was some stitches and that was a loooong time ago. So, I was quite apprehensive about this procedure. Especially about being put under. I don't handle being numbed too well, so the idea of being knocked out terrified me. I couldn't imagine the moment I'd pass out, and it ground my writing to a halt. How could I focus on what my characters were saying when scenarios of me in the hospital were playing through my head like a bad horror movie? Oh, the joy of an over active imagination.

I spent the weekend knitting and not thinking about writing. No thinking and no worrying. It was actually quite relaxing. Sometimes, us writers put so much pressure on ourselves to get that word count up. We feel guilty when we skip a day of writing or if our word count for the day is only in the hundreds. Even when we have a good reason, we fret over not getting any writing in. As writers, we are quite the obsessive bunch!

But not letting myself worry or fret has left me feeling refreshed. I am ready to jump back into writing, to finish my sequel or start another Influence short. The night after my surgery, I had inspiration and that's something I haven't had in a while. As important as it is to write every day, it's also just as important to take a break. To spend a weekend NOT thinking about writing. NOT worrying about writing. Even if the time is spent reading a book (which we all know helps our writing), or you talk with your friends about their writing, let yourself take a break. Your muse will thank you and your writing will feel fresh.

Also, next week is the first post for the Are You Writing Now accountability group. You can still sign up and get encouragement to reach your writing goals.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's tough pushing myself, which is why I'm glad NaNo is only once a year XD I'm so glad that you're refreshed now, and it's good to see you back on your feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be back on my feet and feeling excited to write.

      Delete
  2. I had to look that up to see what it was. I trust you're getting better now that it's past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm getting better. It wasn't too big of a procedure, so recovery hasn't been too bad. Although, I do keep forgetting to take things slow and tire myself out. ^^;;

      Delete
  3. Friday I try and write but if it doesn't happen I don't stress over it. Generally on Saturday I write nothing. Generally. Those two days as "Lor's Days." The only way I do write is if I get the itch like Charlie... Sometimes even if I do get the itch I ignore it! Leaves me refreshed for Sunday, Monday, & Tuesday to type my fingers off! Wednesdays and Thursdays I try and get my reading done! There's what I do for all of you! XD

    ReplyDelete