Sunday, February 12, 2012

Book Review: Insivible

Lola’s not pretty. Lola’s not popular. Lola wishes she could disappear … and then one day she does just that...

For seventeen-year-old Lola Savullo, life is a struggle. Born to funky parents who are more in than she could ever be, Lola’s dream of becoming a writer makes her an outsider even in her own home. Bullied and despised, Lola still has the support of her best pal Charlie and Grandma Rose.

Not only is she freakishly tall, Lola’s a big girl and when forced to wear a bathing suit at her summer job as a camp counselor, Lola’s only escape from deep embarrassment seems to be to literally vanish. Soon after, she discovers the roots of her new “ability”.

Slowly, with Charlie’s help, Lola learns to control the new super power. The possibilities are endless. Yet power can be abused, too…

Then, when tragedy strikes, Lola must summon her inner strength, both at home and at school. She has to stand up for herself, despite the temptations and possibilities of her newfound super power.

A coming-of-age story that will warm the heart.


I found Invisible to be a fun and enjoyable read. The teenage characters were realistic, often reminding me of my high school days. The author captured the intense emotions that defines a teenager's years. Of course, the only difference is most teenagers can't vanish.

From the interactions with her grandma, to feeling like she had nothing in common with her parents, to enduring bullies, Lola's emotions were raw and deep and spot on for a girl like her. I loved the way she grew and opened up as the story progressed. Between realizing she is beautiful, that she had a lot more in common with her parents, I was cheering Lola on the whole way. As she was plotting with Charlie and Jon I was silently pleading for her not to sink to the bully's level.

My only qualm was the author's use of present tense. It kept throwing me off when I'd turn on my Kindle. But once I got reading, the tense didn't bother me. This was more personal than anything because most of what I read is in past tense and I also write in past tense. Other than that, the writing was beautiful and flowed smoothly. I thought the beginning was a little slow, but it picked up speed and I was eager to turn the pages. This is a great read for both parents and their teenagers. If I was handing out stars, I'd easily give this author four gold ones.

Also, check out the other stops on the Invisible tour hosted by Ever After PR.  http://everafterpr.com

6 comments: