Tuesday, January 10, 2012

WTF Humanity?

Every so often on the Internet I stumble across something that blows me away. Usually, it's a good blow me away, something that has me rolling with laughter. On occasion though, I stumble across something bad, something really bad and I can't get it out of my head. Today, I had one of those moments in a bad way.

I was innocently browsing my facebook feed when I came across an image a friend posted. This image is forever burned into my brain. It was bad, really bad. It was so bad, I quit browsing, went over to twitter and had a WTF moment. If you follow me on twitter, you probably know what I'm talking about. My friend had shared a picture of a German Shepard, who had it's muzzle blown off by a couple of drunk teens. And that's not the worse part. The worst part is the dog didn't die. It was alive for five days before someone found it, and in the end, put it down because there was nothing to do.

That image made me cry.

I'm not much of a crier, in fact, I hate doing it, especially in public. But that image made the tears flow. Hell, that image deserved the tears. All I could image was the pain and suffering that dog endured. (And you can tell too by how the dog's ears droop in the picture. It is suffering big time.) How cruel it was for someone to do that, to think it was fun or funny? WTF times ten!

Well, maybe it's a hoax, I thought at one point. I went to google and did a little searching. The story was on forums, people were talking about it, but no real articles. Finally, I found this. Hoax-Slayer.com and they had an article on it. Note, there is no graphic image in the link. It just tells the story and confirms it's true. The site also gave me a clue as to why there wasn't an article on it. In Bosnia, where this happened, they don't have great animal cruelty laws, so the kids responsible for this act weren't punished. WTF?

This story tears me to pieces. It boggles my mind how horrible we, as humans, can be to animals and to each other. Sad thing is, it takes an incident like this to get people to notice. It takes tragedy. Look at all the outpouring of support that happens after a natural disaster.

I feel helpless as well. No amount of tears could have saved that poor dog. Hoax-Slayer has links to a petition asking for signatures to help pressure the Bosnia government to create stricter animal cruelty laws, but who knows if that will have any effect. In the end, I have to rely on others. I'm not the only one who knows what happened to that poor dog is very, very, very wrong.

Maybe that's enough. Maybe the next time someone sees someone being cruel to another living creature, he or she will step up and stop it. And maybe that will affect the person who was being cruel and they'll realize how wrong what they were doing was. Maybe it will keep spreading to more and more people. Nothing will happen if we stay silent, so I'm going to speak about this.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful post - I totally agree!

    Found your blog through the blog hop and started following - looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    Amy
    http://neftzger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eww that is really sick. And Dogs are such loyal trusting animals by nature - I'll never understand why some people do the things they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me neither, Austin, I just hope I can help stop people from doing cruel things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone who does that to an animal is rehearsing for the day they do that to another person. It's training ground for a psychopath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big serial killer true crime fan and one of the 3 signs serial killers display when they are young is animal abuse.

      Delete