Sunday, January 29, 2012

Writing Accountability

At the beginning of January, I wrote a post about how I kept procrastinating starting the sequel to Being Human. In the comments, I had someone talk about how when she was younger in her bible group they had Bible sponsors and it was their job to encourage everyone to read the Bible every day. She said something like that for writing was something she'd like to do. I told her she may be on to something. A few days later, Gwen emailed me and said she had been serious and wanted to know if I was.

Thus the start of the Are You Writing Now? Accountability Group. We hashed through the details, asked friends for group name ideas. I came up with Are You Writing Now? Was thinking about that cell phone commercial, Can you hear me now? Anyways, the goal of the group is simple, we buddy up and hold each other accountable.

Now, the details are still fresh and may have a few bumps, but so far this is what we have:
  • You sign up and at the end of the month, starting February, post your writing goals for the next month. Everyone visits each others links and posts some encouragement. Also, the post can be about goals you've met. Celebrate achieved goals! We were thinking of giving award badges and are looking for suggestions on how they should look.
  • You buddy up with two or three people and exchange twitter and/or facebook accounts and throughout the month, you tweet and post encouragement, or ask your buddies for encouragement during rough patches (like writer's block.) We figured two or three buddies would be better than one. That way, the hope is if someone doesn't participate for whatever reasons, you're not stuck with a silent buddy. Although, that may change depending on how many people show interest. If the group is small, we can all easily encourage each other without buddying up.
  • There will also be a hashtag for twitter, which is the group's name. #areyouwritingnow or even shorter since we only have so many characters #aywn. That way we can easily search out tweets for the group. Follow both Gwen @GwenTolios and I @patricialynne07 on twitter. I also made a list on twitter for easy access to participants. https://twitter.com/#!/patricialynne07/aywn-tweeplez
  • Genre or writing skill doesn't matter. Anyone can join. YA writers can encourage Romance writers, Sci-fi writers can cheer on history writers, new writer can cheer on seasoned writer. The only requirement is to cheer each other on.
To show your support, Gwen made a badge that you can display on your blog or website. I will keep this post open for sign ups at the top of my blog. Also, we're both new to this, so we're open to any suggestions you have to make the group run smoothly. I'll start the sign up now, so there will be plenty of time to think about your writing goals for March.

Photobucket



Code for Badge:



7 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! I can use all the support and encouragement I can get, and I like to support others, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these words could've gone in your book - are you writing now btw? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this moment am I writing now? Nope, just got off the phone with my sister and turned on the computer. ;) lol

      Delete
  3. I think it's a great idea. At the minute I'm reading a lot as I feel dragged down by the winter, but I will soon be starting to write more again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good idea!

    I'm writing most days, and editing a couple of projects for other people as well.

    ReplyDelete