Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First Insecure Writers Support Group post of 2012

All right, it's a new year and time for the Insecure Writers Support Group to meet as well! What better way to kick off the new year? I wasn't sure what I was going to talk about this month. I didn't have any new gripes to unload... well, nothing I want to discuss publicly. It wasn't until I was in the shower that I realized what I wanted to talk about.

Last month, my mom's side of the family got together for our Christmas party. During it, my older sister took a moment to hand out a picture she had taken of her two sons. I've talked about Arik and Emmet before, showed them off in another post. But for those of you who don't know, Arik was born with a cleft lip and palate. When he was five months old, he went in for surgery to have his upper lip fixed because, well, he didn't have much of an upper lip. Later, when the party was over and hubby and I were home, I was looking at the picture of my nephews. Arik has this goofy little smile on his face and it made me think.

Arik's problems didn't end with the surgery he had. He still needs his palate fixed, and he has other issues his mom needs to worry about. He sees about a million doctors, gets poked and prodded, scanned, and examined. For being only nine months old, he has already been through so much.

And yet he smiles!

I have never seen a baby smile so much. At the party, he was nothing but smiles. (Except when he was being fed and had to be burped. Then he cried a bit.) When I went down to help my sister out when he was born, he was all smiles. Every time I see him, he is a smiling, happy baby. Most of us couldn't imagine what it must have been like for him to go into major surgery at such a young age. We'd say it's probably good that he was so little and won't remember. But still, just thinking of all he's been through, and all he has to go through, it's amazing.

It humbles me because I know I'd be a whining, miserable mess. It makes me grateful that my biggest issue when being born was I came out backwards. It makes me want to fight harder when life seems to be working against me. If my little nephew can smile after all he's been through, I can keep fighting when my life hits a bump. I can keep writing and working when my book looks like it's languishing in obscurity and going unnoticed.

I can smile, just like he does.

21 comments:

  1. Aww! That's awesome he smiles even after all he's been through. Babies and children are so resilient and can definitely teach us a lot about life's little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so perfect, I want to comment on it, but I'm speechless really. I'll just smile :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful story.. thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Really, if we'd all simply smile at each other and recognize we all have "issues" we're dealing with ... life would be so much more pleasant for us all!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Cherie, I know. I remember being little and all the bumps and scrapes I got and how I got right back up. It's a pity we lose that courage when we get older.

    @Cassie, =D

    @WritingNut, thanks for commenting.

    @Margo, very true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post. So glad I found your blog and love the attitude. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great blog with a great message. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Really make a person stop and think. Thanks for the smile today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, that's a great attitude... most of the time. Trying to force yourself to smile when you're just not feeling happy or grateful can just make things worse, but I really do believe in the power of positive emotions. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this in every way. Way to go Arik! And a true example for me to strive for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Tasha, thanks!

    @MJ and MSBjane, you're welcome.

    @kelworth, yeah, every so often you just need to pout and moan.

    @Ali, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is cute. It's a nice, touching reminder that sometimes, kids really do have it all figured out, and we just need to follow their example. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. He's a cute little kid. One of my cousins children was diagnosed with Cystic fibrosis when he was very little - it really shook up our whole family, but after all he's been through, he's still such a daredevil, always playing with the other kids. I love the way really young children are so non-judgmental, such fighters, and can be happy in situations that most adults just can't handle. There's a lot to learn from them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing little boy! You're right - he takes away all excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @LM, I'm trying!

    @Austin and Alex, defenitely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful, inspiring post! Hope the little tyke is done with all the surgeries soon.

    Take care, Paricia, and Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Damyanti, unfortunatly, he still has a few sureries ahead. He has to get his palate fixed and some plastic surgery around his nose because it's kinda smooshed looking right now, and there's scars. But most of those his doctors said can wait until he's a little older.
    You take care too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Babies are so amazing. They are always so happy. Ah, to have the innocents of a new born. Great IWSG post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. When my niece was born without one arm, the family was terribly upset. She'd be handicapped. She wouldn't be able to do things like swim or play basketball or whatever. Ha! Not only does she do anything her two-armed siblings do, she does them well. She's in high school now and considering a career in modeling. She happens to be very beautiful and nobody notices she has only one arm because she also has one of those personalities that light up a room when she enters. Here's to your nephew and may he continue to light up other lives by his smiling example.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay Arik! So good of him to share his joy with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Ciara, thanks.

    @Cleem, and to your niece!

    ReplyDelete