Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fear the Sequel

We are into the second week of 2012, and let me admit, my writing is still halted. I've done some. Finished a short story along the same lines of Influence of Love, but as for Being Vampire? I keep pushing it off. At first, I wasn't sure why I kept finding excuses not to start typing it up. I know it will unblock me. I'm not the type of writer to write out of order, so the fact the story got out of order has ground me to a halt. Writing it in order will fix that.

So why do I keep procrastinating?

Putting it bluntly, I'm terrified. It wasn't until the other day when I was fretting and worrying over something, and like all things that really worry me, eventually turning that worry on myself, did I realize why I was struggling so much. I'm scared to write this sequel. Let's face it, in movies, most sequels are never as good as the first movie. A few recent movies come to mind. Sherlock Holmes 2. While I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was as good as the first. The Transformers movies. The first one was amazing, the second one okay, and the third was horrid. I complained through the whole movie.

The thing is, with books, it tends to be different. The series usually get better as each book is released. And that's why I'm so worried. I'm scared the sequel won't be as good, and my struggles to get it written don't help. Getting this first draft out has been one struggle after another, and it's still not finished!

I don't want to let people down. If you look at my reviews, they aren't half bad. A few end with "Read this now." while other people have told me Being Human made them cry. Can you see the pressure to make the sequel just as good, if not better, building? It's really hard not to think about, and each time I think about how I need to start typing Being Vampire out, I find yet another reason not to.

In the end, I know I'm just going to have to suck it up and start writing. Maybe a few good kicks in the butt will get me in gear. Or some tweets guilt tripping me into action. Comments cheering me on. Anyone want to volunteer?

14 comments:

  1. Your sequel will rock :) As a person who's just gotten theirs out though, I totally understand the fear. But it's NOT rational - your writing only improves and you're now better at being critical of your own work. Trust me, you'll do fab and knock your readers socks off :)
    Damsel in a Dirty Dress

    ReplyDelete
  2. *kicks butt* and now for the cheering :) You will rock, sweetie, because you are an awesome writer and you will be improving even more. You love your stories, you create something wonderful and we love you for that. Your sequel will rock! Write it!!!!!! I want to read it!!!! Love you, honey!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheerleading: You can do it, you can do it, you can do it!!!! Like the others said, your writing will only improve, and now you know how to do it...you know you CAN do it. It's a huge accomplishment to not only FINISH a book, but to PUBLISH a book and you've done BOTH. I completely understand and sympathize with where you're coming from, because I'm about to start writing my second book and I'm scared...and kinda putting it off...but I know it needs to be done. As indie authors, we have to stay on the ball and produce new work so people don't forget about us!
    Guilt trip: Do you want to be known as a one hit wonder? The writing equivalent of...oh damn, I'm drawing a blank. Anyway, you get the idea.
    Butt-kicking: *winds up* I think I'll save this one for later if you don't get your butt in gear! ;-)

    Bottom line...you can do it. I have faith in you. So many people have faith in you...plus I'm dying to find out what happens, so my motives may be a tad selfish...but whatever works, right? :-) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember back when I was young and active in a youth group we had Bible sponsors. Our job was to call our partner every day and ask "have you read your Bible today?" I totally need that for writing, because I'm also not doing what I should be. Maybe we should set up a writing accountability group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nicole, I hope so!

    @Kat and Marie, thanks for the butt kicking and cheering.

    @Gwen, I think you are on to something. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Gwen. Support partner anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do this because it's your story and your characters, and you know them better than anyone. Just close your eyes and let them tell you their story. You know they are dying to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can understand your trepidation, but try not to let your fear hold you back. You never know how it will turn out until you go for it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, just do it. ;)

    What is the real issue? Is it the story itself? Is their no larger, over-arching storyline to be told?

    Plus, movies are a horrible way to judge sequels. Directors change, all kinds of stuff. Just go for it. You are always going to be your own worst critic, remember that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Columbibueno, sure! LOL

    @Bridget, Tara, and Brandon I am doing it. One word at a time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand what you mean. I'm writing the third book in a mystery series and if I'm not careful I start to wonder if it will be as good as the previous book. So I don't think about it. I just keep writing. I'm sure your book will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The thing about writing is, if you think it's a good and entertaining story, other people will too. Write to please yourself and you'll attract the right readers.

    P.S. Spiderman 3 was a lot better than the first two.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Empire Strikes Back - better than the original. I remember you saying you liked Chrono Cross (which I just bought for my psp the other day), that was a sequal to Chrono Trigger. Just give it your all, I'm sure it'll be great :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Jill, I'm trying not to think about it. LOL

    @Erin, thanks.

    @Austin, I looooove Chrono Cross. =)

    ReplyDelete