Sunday, January 22, 2012

Determination

This is a follow up post to my Authors Vs Reviewers post. I wrote that because of all the disturbing stories about authors reacting badly to low reviews. Then I got my first low review for Being Human. A two star review.

Now, maybe I was able to keep my cool because it happened soon after my previous post. I can't really say. But I did. Sure, I got my hubby and two of his friends to come pick me up so I could get drunk with them. I said in my whinest voice possible, "I got a two star review." I messaged my writing partner to show him. Sent a DM to a friend who has been cheerleading me on the link and a giant WAAAAHHHHH! Lastly, I declared on twitter I was going to kill stuff on xbox.

And that was it. There was no ranting or raving. Not even any crying. I felt like crying, but I refrained because I didn't want red eyes. (There was some drunk tweets, but only to friends.) I even talked with the reviewer about a book we both read and had enjoyed. The next day, we emailed a little about his review. Yes, I know, some of you are cringing. I had asked this guy for the review, and he had warned me he was a tough critic. I said, that was fine, I still wanted him too. I wanted to at least thank him for giving my book a chance and say, "Holy Long Review Batman!" We talked back and forth a little, about reviews in general and how every book gets low reviews. I have to admit, I felt a bit bad for the guy. That's got to be tough contacting the author to give them your low review of their book that they requested. I would definitely rather be receiving the low review than giving it.

Mostly, what I learned from this was it just makes me determined. I had another review, a three star. The person said she wanted to love Being Human, but just liked it. Both reviews left me wanting to try harder. To do all that I can to improve my ability to write and tell a story. So when they read the next book, they'll say, "This author has improved." or "I could not put this book down." or "I'm so glad I gave this author another chance. Five stars!" (We'll just ignore the fact that the next book will still have someone that won't like it. I'm trying to be motivational here after all.)

8 comments:

  1. *hugs* I have definitely felt more awkward giving low reviews to authors whom I've spoken to online. (I still haven't read Being Human yet, sorry! No review for you, yet.) I feel like I'm being a bad friend. I just have to keep telling myself that it's "business" and not friendship at that point, and that any good author worth his or her salt will come out better for it on the other side. And I do my best to be nice about it and usually manage that fairly well, IMO. But it doesn't mean I don't feel bad for doing it, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and most of them won't hold it against me personally, either.

      Delete
    2. A good author won't, even if it's an author you've befriended.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting to me that authors react poorly over bad reviews- I mean, surely there are books they don't like, too, but others do. People have opinions, that's what makes the world wonderful.

    Well done on keeping things positive throughout :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit stumped about those authors as well. It's like they don't stop to think before speaking.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the bad review, but it sounds like you get more positive ones and that's always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's the ratio of good versus bad reviews that's the key. No one's going to get all good reviews. That's simply not possible.

    ReplyDelete