Sunday, December 4, 2011

Write, scrap, write, scrap, write

I forget how long after I finished Being Human that I started to write it's sequel, Being Vampire. The sequel popped into my head while I was finishing the first draft of Being Human. I have a bad habit of jumping from story to story, leaving behind unfinished drafts. But I resisted with Being Vampire. Tommy's story was almost done, and then I'd get to Drew's. Finally, I was done and ready to listen. I started writing, struggling a bit with how the story went. Only to put it aside when another character shouted louder. When I got back to Being Vampire, I wasn't too thrilled with what I had so I scrapped it and started over. Then another story got in the way and I set Being Vampire aside again.

I did this a few more times, trying to get into Drew's story, but struggling. Sometimes, I scrapped what I wrote and other times I got distracted by another story. I was beginning to feel a bit hopeless. There were parts of Drew's story that were crystal clear and I wanted to get to them, but the beginning was being difficult. I'm not one to write scenes out of order, but I gave that a shot. Still, I struggled.

This story just didn't seem to want to come.

Finally, I decided to try something I don't do. I decided to plot and summarize. And I was going to do it long hand. I grabbed a notebook and started summarizing how I wanted the beginning to go. I didn't get very far, only one full page, front and back. It was late, and I was tired.

The next day, I opened the notebook back up and started writing. It wasn't until I was halfway down the page that I realized I wasn't summarizing. I was writing! The words were finally flowing, Drew was talking. I kept writing longhand, the story turning out quite different than my first few attempts. I think that was part of my problem, the way I was trying to take the story wasn't making sense. It wasn't realistic and that was holding me back.

I can't wait to finish this first draft and start typing. I'm dying to know my word count, to see how much longer or shorter it is than Being Human. If I wanted, I could start typing now, but I don't want to loose my flow. Drew seems to be afraid of the computer right now. Hopefully, he gets over that when the first draft is done.

2 comments:

  1. One of the great things about carrying on with characters and plots... seeing the work you want to do ahead while you're still working on the first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's even more exciting when you finally get to those parts too, William!

    ReplyDelete