Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Insecure Writer's Support Group - Silence

I kind of keep forgetting about this. After all, it's once a month, at the beginning of the month, and I had the button near the bottom on my blog. Hence, I didn't see it and forget until the day everyone is posting their story for the group. First time, I got lucky and had a post up that I could use. Second time, I had nothing. This time, I am on it! I have a topic, I have a post ahead of time. I WILL REMEMBER! (Click on the image to see the list of participants.)


Lately, I've been feeling insecure about what I'm doing. It's not for the lack of trying, because I am. No, it's the response I'm getting from trying. Which is silence. I use bitly to track my links to my books on Smashwords, Amazon, and B&N. Usually, the tracking shows something, but lately, there's been nothing. No one is clicking. The other day I got my bookmarks in and excitedly tweeted about it. Only a few friends said anything. Same with my request for guests. Only a few responses or comments.

It had me sitting back and wondering, Why am I bothering? What happened? Then I start to panic. Am I being too pushy? Am I bugging people so they're just ignoring me? We all know writers don't need to panic about stuff like that. It gets in the way of creativity and word count. I started feeling like the world was flying by and all my yelling and arm waving was being ignored. Which is also bad for word count. I'd stare at my work in progress and know how the story needed to go, but the words weren't there. They are missing from my head, replaced by panic and fear.


Then another writer on twitter wondered if her tweeting her book links really did anything. She said sales didn't seem affected when she tweeted or didn't tweet. I replied back saying I was noticing the same too. That made me feel slightly better, but made me wonder even more, Why bother?

My only solution at the time was to step back and take a break from worrying about stats and hits and visitors. I decided to ease up on how often I blog. I'm still going to do the guest post on Friday for #whyIwrite (if you want to be a guest and talk about why you love to write, email me at patricialynne07(@)gmail.(.)com) and I think I'll post on Monday or Tuesday. But not Wednesday unless it's for a bloghop. I'll focus more on content and not quantity because I think I was letting myself get away from that. Getting back into blog hops has helped too. I always enjoyed writing up posts for a hop and then going to others and seeing what they said. If the list was short enough, I always tried to comment on everyone's blog.

Also, knitting helped. This week I've made six hats and one scarf. Afterwards, I feel so relaxed and accomplished. Of course, the downside is I'm so relaxed I don't feel like writing. In fact, I want to nap. ^^;;

Isn't this a cute hat? I've known how to knit for ages, but only recently learned to purl.

23 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs* awww hun. Trust me, we all go through that stage (often). Though at the moment I want The Arrival to sink in the rankings, so that when I re-release it in all its new polished glory it'll take off a bit. Just love your work, be proud of it, know that it really IS awesome and be patient. Continue to write and ignore the stats - they only screw with your thinking. Take care :) and I'm thinking of you!
    P.s - super cute knitting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've got the right idea with focussing more on your content and the things you love to do. And yes, the hat is cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there's a big difference between the writing side of things and the promotional/marketing side. I'm not really sure what the best way to go about it is I don't think anyone is at the moment, things seem to be ever-changing.

    It's still early days, though. You need perseverance as much as anything.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    The Funnily Enough

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mooderino is right. There is a big difference. I don't check stats or anything like that anymore. I just keep putting one foot in front of the other, doing what I feel I'm supposed to do. And learning to let to of my attachment to the results. Good luck!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Nicole *hugs* Thanks.

    @Sarah, thanks. =)

    @Mooderino, I don't think anyone knows the best way, not even the ppl selling millions. I'm not about to give up. I'll just whine along the way. ;)

    @Karen, I check my stats in the morning and before I go to bed and that's it. The upside to slow sales is knowing checking for changes is only a waste of time because chances are it will still be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm waaaay distant from worrying about the promotion side of things (thankfully). When I finally finish a novel worth promoting, then I'll suppose I'll have to get serious about it. Knitting can be dreadfully addictive, though - don't let it eat up that writing time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the secret is to not try so hard. I think it comes down to involvement here and giving to others. And yeah, it takes time. After what just happened to my book though, I think it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been there, done that. I step back and do more reading than writing or exercise more. I do a lot of thinking on the road and usually work up a new plan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job knitting and good job knowing when you need to take a step back for yourself. Taht is the thing about writing, we don't have a boss that tells us how we need to manage our time so it is trial and error. I am still trying to figure out the technical side of writing beyond using Microsoft word so you are way ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh I love that hat. Wish I could knit. Instead I'm stuck with my insecurities ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, that's where I'm at too. I've heard it's more important to focus less on your book than on yourself, but I haven't found a creative way to do that and work in promotion.
    Very cute hat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a darling hat! I think every writer/blogger has ups and downs. I know there have been times when it seems like the hits are overwhelming and other time when I wonder if my blog is really THAT boring, but it fluctuates. Just ride the curve and keep making genuine connections. It'll come back up :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's all a roller coaster ride, that much is true. Some days I tweet and I get the same response, nothing. Then, I can post the same info. the next day, and get 5-6 responses and visits to my blog.

    You just have to keep on trudging along, stay true to your craft and yourself. Big hugs coming your way! :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that darn insecurity! I hate it when it creeps up on me, but I think you did the right thing by focusing on positive, even creative, outlets. Who knows about the Twitter stuff, maybe it was just a random slump? Perhaps everyone was too busy wondering about the Kardashian divorce. Lol. I agree with Candy's comment--just keep moving forward! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everyone, thanks for the comments. Feeling much more secure now.

    Coleen, you have a point, after all the divorce was soooo important. *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  17. In spite of all the advice from the "experts" who say we need to blog and tweet, I think the most important things we can do as writers is write the best books possible. I applaud your decision to step away a day from blogging and focus on what you love and I bet a lot writing went on when you knit that super-cute hat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As others have said, we all go through this at some point--many of us, often. Insecurity is practically a prerequisite for writers. ;) Kudos to you for your honesty and for following your instincts in taking a step back.

    On another note, funny you mentioned knitting. (Looks great, by the way!) I decided to purchase yarn and crochet hooks today after years of not crocheting. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the hat, so cute! I'm sure everything will come right for you in the end. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think we all feel this way at some point. I'm not even published yet and I already have my 'why do I bother' days. I'll get all excited about a new post I've written, and get zero feedback. I'll ask a question on FB or Twitter, nada. I set up my new author site, thought it looked great, but it's gone largely unnoticed. Then I remember the people who have supported me, who care about what I'm doing, who can't wait to read my book, who ask me when they'll finally get their review copy, and I feel better. I'm really looking forward to just finally being DONE with my book so I can send it out and get on with new projects. I'm hoping once I immerse myself in those, I won't worry so much about what people are saying - or not saying.

    I love that hat!! I knit too, but it's very simple stuff. I learned a pattern for a pretty scarf, but that's as far as I've gotten. I need to get back into it because I'm donating stuff to charity in a month and I haven't hit my goal yet. If you have a sec, you might want to check this out: http://www.squidoo.com/do-you-knit-or-crochet-why-not-do-it-for-a-good-cause-
    It's something I wrote about a year ago. You might not be interested, or it might be a bit late this year, but something to think about. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Kate, yup, can't always listen the experts.

    @August, Glad to hear you're picking up crocheting against.

    @Acertainbook, thanks. ^_^

    @Marie, I noticed your new site, was in a quiet mood at the time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. All of us go through rough patches, and perhaps even more so when we're creatively inclined people.

    ReplyDelete
  23. There's always lulls, for everyone. Just keep pushing forward :)

    ReplyDelete