Sunday, October 30, 2011

Dawn of Book Review

About a year ago I met Daniel on twitter. I forgot what had us following each other, but I remember a tweet that seemed to initiate contact. I was trying to be cute and start a hashtag #writersunite. Only I made a typo and had #writersunit. He pointed it out to me. After that, we were constantly chatting and soon we swapped manuscripts to critique. I read his story that afternoon, devoured it actually. All while stopping to make notes. Now, almost a year later, I was reading it again, searching for mistakes he might have missed and any last suggestions. I still loved it too, so when it came for him to have a blog tour for the release of his story, I told him I wanted a day and I was going to do a review.

Dawn of Darkness
Daeva One

Unburdened by the pain of loss and heartbreak, Mikhail is content with his life of solitude. But everything began to change the day he realised he has a psychic ability — the power to alter the emotions of those around him.
Ushered into the Military Academy with others like him — other Daevas — Mikhail does his part to help tip the scales of war against the vampires that destroyed the world and plague what remains of humanity. But after going up against his first vampire, Mikhail starts to question everything he thought to be true.
To discover the truth and expose the lies he once believed, Mikhail will set out on a journey of discovery, and learn some things about himself in the process.



I have never really gotten over how much I enjoyed this story, even the earlier draft I beta read for Daniel. Mik is just awesome. I love the way he opened up, yet didn't turn into a complete pile of mush. And by pile of mush, I mean he didn't get all lovely dovey with Ash. He'd still glare, roll his eyes and snark back at Ash. In some novels, when the love happens, it's like the main character becomes a sex fiend and when they aren't having sex, they are being too romanatic, too cheesy. Not with Mik. He was shy about it, blushing and dropping his gaze. I loved that. The relationship wasn't instantly cemented, there were still bumps in the road.

I enjoyed the rest of the characters too. I would love to hear about Violet's history and her life with Sebastian. Daniel too. I would love a story about Daniel and what it was like becoming a werewolf and see life through his eyes when he was a wolf. Nate... I'm not going to say because I know Daniel has been thinking about his life. The city Violet takes Mik to I would love to read more about. I bet there's lots of interesting tales in those streets.

It was funny rereading it because I knew how the story went, so at times I was on the edge of my seat because I knew a bit of action was coming up, but I couldn't quite remember all the details so I was still excited and nervous. WHAT WOULD HAPPEN?? A few other times, I was confused because something didn't happen. Then I realized it probably got cut. The end of the story too, OMG! I had forgotten all that happened so I was biting my nails (not really I don't do that, but you get what I'm trying to say) waiting for what was to come. When I reached the end, just like the first time, I wanted to strangle Daniel. First time I almost did because he hadn't started the sequel at that point. Wait, I think I still want to strangle him because I know the third book isn't written and I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

Over all, I loved this book, even more the second time around. So does that mean I should give him 10 stars? ;) Naw, I'll stick with five. I look forward to pretty much everything else Daniel is going to write. And I will make sure he writes more, you can count on that. Lastly, the cover. It captures the book quite well. Plus, Keary Taylor did it. (I recommended her to him.) You can find his book at Amazon and Smashwords. Him at his blog and on twitter.





6 comments:

  1. Mwahaha... you know what happens. Well, kinda since I'm still rewriting it. And why do I always have to be strangled? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, I can tell you really liked it! I'll have to mark it as 'to-read'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With a wonderful recommendation like that, how can I not add it to the tbr list?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I think Daniel should start giving me a percentage of his sales, don't you agree. ;)

    Thanks for stopping, Jenny and Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, he should cut you in on it!

    Great review! You've got me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was already on my To-Read shelf! Now I want to read it even more :) Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete