Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Reviewing MY book

There have been a lot of scary moments on my journey to publication. I swear I have freaked out over something at every turn. Asking friends to read a draft, finding beta readers, getting beta readers thoughts back, editing, hiring a cover artist. Yup, I have been a complete spaz about this process.

But the single most terrifying thing, the one thing I can't overcome my fear of is book reviewers. Just thinking about asking someone to review my book makes me want to hide. Sure it's a bit like beta reading but the thing is if they find flaws, I'm not going to change the story. The story is published and any changes would deal with punctuation or maybe I'll stick that missing THE in my hubby found. Minor stuff.

Sure, book reviewers will notice bad punctuation (not that I'm saying I have any. I did hire an editor to fix my lack of knowledge about comma rules,) but their focus will be on the story, the characters. Have my characters been fleshed out or do they fall flat? Am I bouncing around in POV? They are reading my book and forming an opinion on a finished product. I am so terrified of what they will say. Yes, I know not everyone will like it and I'm sure there will be one and two star reviews. Three stars isn't really a bad thing. Chances are the reviewer liked your story, but found flaws that weren't to their personal tastes. Book reviewing is subjective. What one reviewer loves, another hates. One might forget a small slip here while another laments it in their review.

I know all this, but it doesn't make me any braver. I do have a plan. I call it my hubby. Right now, I have reviewers who said they'd review my book. When the reviews go up I am going to make hubby read them first and tell me the general opinion of the reviewer. All the while probably hiding in the bedroom. We do have a nice large closet. It's like a cave - a cave of safety. LOL!

Anyways, that's the plan, whether or not that how it plays it is another thing. I'm sure you will hear about the reviews when they are posted. I do know I will spaz out about them on twitter. I'm not about to back down from asking for reviews either. Having your book reviewed is a great way to get interest in your book. While I may not care about reviews, others do and if I don't have any sitting pretty on my Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords pages then my chances of getting people to buy go down. I love my book too much to let it waste away in obscurity just because I was too much of a wuss to ask for a review.

6 comments:

  1. I share your fear of the review. Using the spouse as a buffer is solid genius. I'll have to have my wife do the same if reviews ever start rolling in for my new book.

    We writers really need to grow thicker skins, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I think we have thicker skins then we let on. Maybe writers are just whiny. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you'll freak out, who wouldn't? Then, just as you've done all the way along, you'll recover and move on. I have faith :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to read this...not glad that reviewers make you so nervous, but glad because it's something that scares me, too. Terrifies me, actually. I've always had issues with people reading my work, but now that I know it's going to be on a large scale - that (possibly, hopefully) hundreds of people will be reading my book, it kinda makes me want to barf. It's exciting but scary at the same time. I love your idea of having your husband read the reviews, that's great...I'm going to have to see if I can find someone to do that for me when the time comes! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's totally subjective! I'm not published yet, but I have heard a lot of authors say that no matter what, they don't read reviews. It can suck the creative energy right out of you. I think it's enough to just accept that everyone doesn't like the same books, and leave it at that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sarah, I'm sure I'll survive

    @Marie, glad to help. =)

    @Peggy, Yeah, I've heard that too. That it's better not to read reviews because they zap you when they're bad.

    ReplyDelete