Thursday, September 29, 2011

Guest Post: Rebeka Harrington Revealed

“Leave behind your preconceived ideas, forget the horror stories and disregard everything you think you know about vampires.
For centuries the debate has raged; are vampires real?  There has been plenty of myth and superstition regarding vampires but not a lot of truth or answers.  In a unique piece of work, Bektamun a 3000 year old vampire, puts to rest all the myth and finally reveals the truth about the legendary creatures known across the globe as vampires.
Vampires Revealed is a journey of discovery. Never before have humans had and an opportunity such as this.  To know the unadulterated truth, for every question you may have ever had about vampires to be answered” ~Synaposis for Vampires Revealed.~

Self-Publishing: The Vampires Revealed Odyssey
By Rebeka Harrington

When Patricia and I discussed the idea of me doing a guest post for her, she suggested I write about why I had chosen to self-publish. Seemed easy enough… until I sat down and faced the computer screen.

You see, before I was confronted with which publishing route to take, first I had to decide whether I not even wanted to publish my work. To publish or not to publish? That was the question.

Vampires Revealed as a project, was unplanned. I liken it to a ‘happy accident’.


Rather self-indulgently I set about answering any number of nagging questions I had about vampires. No portrayal of vampires in books, movies or television had ever given me the complete picture.

Armed with an A4 page full of questions, I sat down and wrote what became the first draft of Vampires Revealed. All the answers I desired were there and I was satisfied. Falling back on my experience of writing for newspaper the initial version was somewhat brief, but I gave it to a friend to read anyway. She devoured it and vehemently demanded MORE!

Back to the manuscript and slowly but surely it transformed into what is now available to readers. Once again I gave it to my friend to read. The seal of approval was given, I had provided ‘more’. Now what?

I published it on a website in an attempt to gauge if people liked it or not. To cut a long story short, much to my surprise (me being the typical creative type with insecurities) people liked my work and my characters. Then I started to be asked, “when will it be published?”

Unless you permanently wear rose-colored glasses and live under a rock in Utopia, everybody knows how very difficult it is for an unknown author to obtain a publishing contract. What other option is there? Self-publishing of course.

This was a brand new concept to me, I knew nothing about it. Always one to keep my options open I decided to do some research. For the sake of expediency, I won’t recount everything I found, only the key points which culminated in my decision to go ‘indie’.

In an ever-worsening economy, traditional publishing houses simply don’t have the marketing budget to use on promoting new authors. They are accepting less new authors each year. Even if, and I must stress the ‘IF’, you are lucky enough to obtain a publishing contract, the burden will be on you the author to find ways to promote and sell your work.

With increasingly more brick’s and mortar bookstores closing their doors, publishing houses are losing their ‘go-to’ avenues for marketing. Furthermore, it is unlikely you will obtain a contract without the representation of a literary agent. Basically this means, in addition to the publishing house taking a major cut of your royalties, even more potential royalties will go to another middle-man.

After winning the publishing ‘lottery’ and getting a contract signed, as a new author you can be compelled to sign away valuable rights to your work. Losing control over content, image and cover design; how you and your work is portrayed to the reading public. You may even lose the right to publish (by any means) other non-contracted and pre-existing work you own. It has happened.
It seemed to me, whether I chose traditional publishing or self-publishing, I was going to have to do a lot of hard work. Certainly I didn’t want to forfeit my intellectual or artistic rights. I concluded if I was going to do all the hard work, I wanted to keep control over my work and didn’t want to lose potential earnings to a middle man. So I chose to self-publish.

Many authors naively choose self-publishing because they believe it is the ‘easy’ route. This is very foolish. Without the support and resources of a publishing house, there are any number of tasks that will fall on your shoulders. Writing the manuscript is only the first step of many before releasing a published work.

Various authors more experienced than me have written excellent guides on the traps and pitfalls to be aware of when self-publishing. My advice to anyone considering self-publishing is to take the time to investigate and discover for yourself. The internet is a vast and incomparable source of information, use it. Knowledge is power. Arm yourself with knowledge, devise a plan, prepare yourself for ceaseless hard work… and self-publishing may just be the right path for you.

Making the decision to self-publish and go indie was right for me, but it's not for everyone. Yes, it has been a lot of hard work and will continue to be so for some time yet I imagine. Self-publishing places you as Master and Commander of your writing career. Whether you succeed or fail rests entirely on your shoulders. I am entirely satisfied this is the right choice for me right now.

****

Raised in country Victoria, Rebeka started her writing career working for the local newspaper as a teenager. While she decided not to pursue this as a career, she has always enjoyed writing and being creative. With so many varied interests and eccletic taste in most things, Rebeka enjoys incorporating all of them in her writing. She particularly enjoys writing about vampires.

Rebeka seeks to define and explain vampires in a way not done before. This has been achieved with her debut title "Vampires Revealed". Following titles will revolve around exploring the world and characters created in her first release. Currently Rebeka lives in Melbourne with her “demented” but lovable cat, dividing her time between writing and managing a small boutique entertainment agency.

My Smashwords Profile - www.smashwords.com/profile/view/bektamun
My books - www.vampiresrevealed.com
My blog - www.rebekaharrington.com

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for being my guest Rebeka. It was nice not having to think up my own post for once. ;) (kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia, it was my pleasure. Even if it was a bit taxing on the grey matter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you, Rebeka. Like you, I've chosen the Indie path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really interesting read. Most of Rebeka's reasons for going indie seem to be the consensus - I know they're among my personal reasons. There's just something about keeping control of your own work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebeka, you are STUNNING. You should be a model. Come do my makeup, please. ;)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Red. Actually, another of the strings on my bow is I've studied make-up artistry.

    I tell people I'm eccletic, but no one ever believes me. :)

    ReplyDelete