Thursday, September 22, 2011

Another milestone author moment

I hate book trailers. They are the most boring things ever for me to watch. I've seen one that I liked and it was for First Kill by Heather Brewer. The rest... I can live without. That being said, I've often thought should I get one made for Being Human? Lots of people I know love book trailers. But how much would it cost? Can I afford it right now being unemployed? My only cash coming in is the small trickle of sales (and hubby.) I have a credit card I can put it on, but I hesitated.

Do I really need a book trailer?

Then my writing partner in crime fiddled with some video software and made his own. It's nothing fancy, just a bit of text on a background talking about the book. No, I didn't think, I can do that. I thought, He can make me one too! That idea didn't go over too well. *sniff* But the seeds were planted and I was really starting to want a book trailer of my own.

I grudgingly accepted that, yes, I could do it myself. My hubby is a computer nerd so he could help me out if needed. I asked what program was used and mentioned it to hubby. Hubby didn't much care for that program and pointed out on the MacBook I'm using, if I switch over to the Mac OS, there is iMovie I can use that should be much easier to use. We popped over to the Mac OS, got an updated version of iMovie and I went to work. When I opened the program and had a moment of panic. Now what??? I had no idea. I figured it out eventually, found a nice background, typed in the script I wrote up and got the music and an image of my book cover added. After that, it was fiddling with the music and time so when changes in the music happened, the text would change. I really enjoyed that part. It took me about five hours I think. I didn't really time myself. I know Thor started and finished while I was doing it, but then the TV went off and I didn't look at the time any.

Now, I must warn you, I have never done anything like this before. What you are seeing is a n00b's first attempt at making a video of any kind. It screams novice. But I'm glad I did it myself. I had a lot of fun and I am very pleased with how it turned out. Even if it's not fancy or completely perfect, I like the fact I did it myself, that it became part of my self publishing journey. So, I will shut up now and you can enjoy the premier of my first book trailer. (10/18/11 note. Changed the trailer because original music was copyrighted and had to find different music. Also added images.)


19 comments:

  1. I don't think I could ever do that, well done! The music is haunting. perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did a certain someone call you a copycat too? I told him it was the highest form of flattery! :D

    Seriously though, I don't think they can hurt any. People can opt whether they want to bother to watch them or not and as I said in my own post, I think for the more visually inspired folks, the trailer could lead them to be more interested in buying.

    Time will tell. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Patty! One of the screens (about in the middle ... it had the most text) didn't seem to stay on long enough for me to read that last line (I know ... I'm slow!). Oh, and I'd probably pick a more readable font ... maybe something a little darker. Just my initial thoughts. LOVE the music! Good job girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sarah, thanks. I love that music. I heard like 5 seconds of it and knew that was the music I needed.

    @MB, not that I know of. lol

    @Erin, can't help it. I'm a sucker for pretty fonts. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the premise! I agree with Erin about the font, but well done!
    Where'd you find the music and background? They're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like I should fiddle with the font.

    @Emily, the background was a basic one iMovie supplied. The music I got from http://hibou-music.com/accueil.php?id=0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the trailer!! Now I am definitely going to buy the book!!! I loved the music as well. I think the font was a bit hard to read, though. But I was able to read through each sentence as it came up and faded away. I think you have a very good story there, and this book trailer helped to cement my desire to purchase the book. Now, my next question would be, I do not have an E-reader. Can I still purchase a book and read it on my blackberry? Or should I buy a nook or kindle? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome to hear Michele! (And I will definitely go and fiddle with the font tomorrow since 3 ppl have said something.)

    As for your question Michele, I'm not sure if you can read it on your blackberry. You can download apps for Nook and Kindle to read on your computer if you don't have an ereader. PDF might work for your phone, but I'm not certain. I haven't stumbled across anything that talked about reading on a blackberry, it's always about the iphone. I'll go pop the question over on twitter and maybe someone there will know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Michele, already got an answer. Kindle and Nook apps work on the blackberry as well as PDF. =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great! I like book trailers. And the music is definitely perfect. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh thank you so much!!! I'm going to download the apps, purchase the book and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, so I just got the Kindle for my Blackberry, and just bought the book!!

    Now I just have to change my back light settings on the Blackberry so the screen doesn't fade out after 10 seconds... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Mikaela! That made my day and I can now say my trailer has helped sales. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't put the book down...I mean, I can't put my blackberry down... I'm loving the book. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm halfway through it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Squee!! Glad you're loving it Mikaela!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore the newer version. SO much more compelling, and the font is easy on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just finished the book! I'm not posting anything, but what I will say is that it took you on an emotional roller coaster and made me think about every day ordinary things I don't normally think about. I cried a bit at the end. :-) Thank you so much for your story!! I enjoyed it very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mikaela, you just made my day. Especially the crying bit. (Only an author would get excited when someone said their book made the reader cry a little.) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks good to me, and the music is ideal for the genre.

    ReplyDelete