Sunday, September 4, 2011

140 Characters or less

So I did it. I published Being Human and now it's time to sit back and let the sales roll in.

Uh, I wish. It would appear I am not an instant hit or overnight sensation. Although there is still a chance at the overnight sensation. You never know, it could happen. Until then, I'm not holding my breath. Nope, I am going to be working hard. I am going to be pimping my links, searching ways to get my name and book out there and blogging. (And working on the next story.)

One thing I plan on doing is pitching on Twitter. Why you might ask, I'm not looking to impress an agent or publisher. But I am looking to impress potential readers and that makes my pitching more important. My pitch needs to grab attention. And not just grab, but demand attention. I have to figure out how to get people to click and buy all with a 140 characters. Less actually, because I also need to add hashtags to get to people who aren't following me

How do I do it though? How do I describe Being Human in a way that grabs attention? I can't just tweet, Buy my book, it's amazing #kindle #ebook http://link. That won't get anyone's attention. No, I need to entice. I need to say things like: All Tommy wants to do is survive. Is that too much to ask? Or how about: Sometimes the worst monsters are VERY human. These lines are from my book descriptions, but I feel like I need more. Like I could do better than those. Maybe this: Not all vampires sparkle in the sunlight. Some die. Or what about: It's nothing personal, Tommy's just trying to survive and he needs YOUR blood to do it. Maybe this will work: Not afraid to get some blood on your fangs?

I don't need just one, I need a few. A handful of interesting tweets to spread throughout the day and over the week. Something that when luck strikes, the person reading won't be able to resist clicking the link provided. You understand my dilemma? Some of you probably even share it. Maybe a few have figured it out. If so, I'm all ears for any hints or tips.

12 comments:

  1. I love Twitter but I think also StumbleUpon may be a good place for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The '....needs YOUR blood' one caught my attention (if that's any help).

    mood

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mood, that is helpful to know.
    @Lisa, I've seen a few people use StumbleUpon, I probably should look into it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think little lines from the story and tags like you have work. As you know, I think you definitely need things other than "please by my book! I'll kiss your feet!" Don't forget to just be yourself and that it's OK to talk about the book. If people see you're a writer they'll go looking if you interest them. Happy medium! :D

    I don't know that I have any picked out from Near Death yet, but there were a ton from Tears of a Clown, just weird shit they say that makes people laugh or interested, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed! Near Death has a few but I'm opting for not so humorous stuff since ya know, it's not really a comedy like ToaC is :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the 'Not afraid to get some blood on your fangs?' Have you thought of getting some friends together to film a 30sec trailer, or maybe using images and a foreboding voiceover.

    Thanks for commenting on Ballad, it's a little weird that you read the sequel before the first book, but anyway... Glad someone liked Dee, I just couldn't like her after what she said to James after the kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Brett, thanks.

    Oh, I think I came up with a new one that I really like too. "Meet Tommy. Sparkling is the last thing on his mind."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like 'sometimes the worst monsters are very human,' it gives me a sense of a theme. Anything that gives a sense of the take of the book would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could have sworn I left a comment here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. In addition to twitter, have you thought about a blog tour? I'm sure that can help get you noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The need your blood one catches the eye. Run with that.

    And the key is getting enough of your followers to retweet it.

    ReplyDelete