Monday, August 22, 2011

The Spark Blogfest

There's a lot going on for me this week. Today I have two things: the Spark Blogfest and the first stop on my blog tour - The Undead Showdown at The Undeveloped Story. I hope you enjoy both, comment and cast your vote for your favorite undead monster. Now, onto the fun!

The Spark Blogfest was created by Christine Tyler to celebrate those who inspire us. She posed three questions to get the creative juices flowing. I chose what book made you realize you were doomed to be a writer?

This answer is easy peasy. Twelfth Grade Kills by Heather Brewer. It was released and nowhere in the town I lived had it on their shelves. So I downloaded it and read it that instant. As I read, I just had this thought. If Auntie Heather (she's not really my aunt. I'm one of her minions =P) can write a book and publish, why can't I? The question got me excited.I wanted to try, to attempt. I had this story I was working on, it didn't have a title yet and it had vampires in it and it just felt right. Like this story was asking me to show it to the world.

So I started looking. I found the writing community on twitter, started a blog and announced my intentions. I started seriously looking into editing my story, failing at thinking up a title and finally getting lucky and having inspiration hit. Agents were bookmarked and followed, I even found Auntie Heather's agent. I started learning and honing my craft. Now that book is a week away from being published. It's going to be let into the world for good and bad. All because while reading a book I had a crazy thought that I couldn't ignore.

Now that you've read my answer, don't forget to see what inspired everyone else!

21 comments:

  1. what a spark! you sound like a real firecracker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire your motivation towards getting your book published! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome spark! It's always good to find those books that keep us writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing story :) I guess the first job of a writer really is to be a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone.
    @Angie, I think you're right. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great way to start. Reading has to be the first step for every writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a great story and congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your book! Great inspiration for all of us! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading stories that take place in my home town!

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2011/08/wordless-wednesday-its-all-greek-to-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool spark! Looking forward to your blog tour!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love uplifting posts like this Patricia. Brilliant news about your book, keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice post. Will go visit you on your blog tour. If you want to do a guest post on my blog sometime, let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it when it happens like that! Congratulations.
    I'm here from sparkfest and hope you'll stop by the Write Game to share the spark there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, wow! That's so great, and congrats on your publication! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks again everyone.
    M Pax, might take you up on that one day. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story. It's amazing how inspiration comes from the unlikeliest of places

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous inspiration! Great post :O)

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Why can't I?" is often such an excellent question because the answer often is, "Actually, I can."

    ReplyDelete