Friday, July 8, 2011

It's like I'm a real author... almost

I have to admit, it annoys the crap out of me when writers on twitter say "I have big news... but I can't share it yet." Makes me want to get personal with my desk every time. Why are you saying anything? Don't you realize how torturous that statement is? Why not just keep quiet until the moment you can tell your loyal readers? Then go "OMGBBQ! L@@K!!!!!!"

But now I kind of know what it's like... well, not really. I have had something I want to unveil but I haven't tweeted the evil "I have big news but that's all I can say." tweet. Instead I've been either silent or mentioned that I have my book cover to unveil and I'm going to do it soon. Of course, I'm not getting a slew of tweets from my followers about it. I'm nobody to get excited over if I say I have a book cover I'm going to show for the first time.

I do have a book cover to show though and I'm finally going to reveal it. Now, I thought long and hard (not really) about when to do it. I racked my brain trying to think of a special date in July. (And of course, now that I think about it, my nephew's birthday was yesterday. Not that he'd care about my book cover. That's beside the point.) I was left with one choice: Pick a date. I chose this weekend.

*Steps up to the mic.*

Ladies and gents! Boys and girls of all ages! Come see the book cover that will blow your mind. (Okay, so maybe only my mind was blown away. OMG when I saw it, I squeed. I was jumping for joy going, "It's so beautiful!" And that was just the rough mock up. The finished product... Excuse me while I go jump so more.) The cover was done by Keary Taylor. She rocks. She rocks so hard I can't even form coherent thoughts. Especially when looking at my book cover (which is my desktop background. This may not be good for my writing.)

I'm going to shut up and now post the cover for my in the near future debut novel, Being Human.


Okay, seriously, isn't that just frikken awesome?????? My original idea was to have an inhuman looking face then a reflection of the same face but more human looking in the eye but that didn't work out, it was too small. But by then, Keary knew I wanted to show the duality of Tommy's character and she found this awesome image, tweaked the eye color, sent it out to me. I squeed then said, "Why don't we show the eye on the shadowed side too and how about a shave? Tommy's only 15." She sent this back then sent another back with a little fun detail added to the necks. That looked cool but didn't fit with what I had in mind so we went back to this. I think, all in all, it took Keary a day, maybe two, to do this. (And I did not break my bank account either! Bonus!) I showed my writing partner in crime CJ and his reaction was "Screw trying to do my own cover, I'm hiring her!" By the way did you see my name on the cover? I need to go jump some more (actually, I'm going to wash the pink dye out of my hair and do an official author photo and maybe finally do a FB author page.)

16 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Awesome! :D Very nice cover (look, no naked man titties!)! Congrats on the book, BTW. I look forward to reading it when it's out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NIIIIICE! Definitely would at least read the back cover even if I DIDN'T know you (in an internet way XD)

    congrats and SQUEEE! to you from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hayden, thanks!

    R.M. That is great to hear! So now all I need to do is make sure the back is good enough to get people to open it... eep! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cover! Totally catches my attention and it's a completely beautiful cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's super awesome Patty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Austin, I nearly died when I saw the mock up. I freaked out, I loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, LOVE it!!!! It's totally perfect!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HUGE congrats Patricia, you're one step closer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Patricia. I haven't been around lately (working on my memoir, etc) so haven't kept up on everyone's progress, but coming back to the fold gradually. Your book cover is great! You should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Patricia - the cover looks Awesome! Clean and simple and striking. Good luck with the rest of the edits and such.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! What a wonderful moment! Congrats and good luck!
    HMG

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cover is just stunning. Congratulations you author you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great cover! One thing to keep in mind...check how the cover looks in thumbnail size, that they use for the catalogue for e-books. Looks like this one should be good for that too, but is good to check!

    All the best with the book. :D SO excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a striking cover! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete