Monday, July 18, 2011

Buy my book in the next ten minutes

Promotion, I can tell you without a doubt that will be my biggest challenge. It's not that I don't know how to do it. It's more, I don't want to come off as annoying. I'm not saying that because I've read a ton of articles talking about how a person shouldn't just promote or how a billion tweets a day saying, "Buy my book in the next ten minutes and get a cyber cookie for free!!" is annoying. My reasoning is because I already knew those tactics are annoying. I've been annoyed by those tactics.

And I don't want to be like that.

Publishing a book doesn't mean that I'll turn into that sort of person. I will still be tweeting the same inane babbling I do or the same links I find interesting or helpful. My blog will still have the same kind of content. Already that makes me not that person. I guess my worries stem from wondering how much is too much?

The answers to that varies from a few times a day to every once in a while. After all, if I get no new followers then I'm just hawking my book to people who have already seen the link and possibly bought it. Then again, hawking the link at the right time might remind the person, who already saw it and was pinching pennies at the time, that they have the spare cash to buy it.

I need to find the fine line between aggressive marketing and not enough marketing. Too bad no one knows where that line is. Promotion is one of those things you have to play with. Try this, if it doesn't work, try something new. Have a tactic do great for a while then have it drop off into nothing. I guess one could say, it's very much like writing. You have to tweak and edit to find the right words to make it work. Which of course brings up another fear: How much is promotion and marketing going to cut into my writing. I think I'll save that for another time though. Right now, I have a book to finish preparing!

2 comments:

  1. indeed, the balance is a tough one. I do hope you find yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I like is the ability to schedule tweets, that way you can even get the people who are awake while you are sleeping. Maybe spreading the promotion out over the 24 hour period this way will make it easier for you.

    ReplyDelete