Monday, June 13, 2011

Writing is like.... playing God

(The overly religious people will probably get mad at me for that title.) Think about it. It's very true. As a writer, it's my job to create a world and fill it with people, animals and life. I have to get every detail down and make each character as diverse as snowflakes. I have to create history and people's pasts. What pets did they have as a child? Who was their favorite relative? Did she get her heart broken in high school? I need all these details to breath life into my characters so they can survive and build a future.

It's not easy either! It takes me multiple attempts to get my writing world perfect. Did I give this character correct features? Is the timeline right? Oops! Plot hole!

Then I have to be silent. Listening to my characters speak and sometimes plead for help. I have to look out of the corner of my eye as they go through trials and torture. Loss of a loved one. Family moving away from the life they've know. I'm not a very benevolent creator to my characters. I torture them and have a certain fondness for ripping my characters' hearts out... literally. It's not all blood and tears though. I love giving my characters happy endings. Hopeful ones I find even better. There's just something about hope, I think it's more powerful than plain old happiness.

I don't dictate every move of my characters, in fact, I give them freedom to take hold of their world and shape it. They surprise me on a daily basis. Where did this character come from? I had no idea this one was such a softie. Wait! That's not what I wanted you to do!

Without me, my characters wouldn't come to life. They'd sit in my head, not given the chance to thrive. I love my characters and will gladly let them free into the world. I just hope everyone else loves my creations as much. I can't wait for what creations spring to mind next!

********************************
This post was brought to you via Melanie McCullough. She tagged me for this meme and it is up to me to pass it on to three more bloggers.
1) MaryBeth Keystrokes and Word Counts
2)Rebecca Bradley Life in Clarity
3) Chris... you should have seen this coming, that's all I have to say. =P

So there you go, my three peeps, I choose you!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I totally agree. It's one of the best things about writing. The ability to create whole worlds and fill it with people that you love and hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always liked the concept of creating a whole language like Tolkin did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is true. Especially when we write in 3rd person omniscient point of view--the very term evokes images of a God-like creator. The writer is in control of everything in the story.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete