Tuesday, June 7, 2011

To all the editors out there, I applaud you

Well, I'm getting close people, I can feel it. After putting Being Human in the hands of a few beta readers and doing more rewrites, I have a feeling that maybe I should start thinking publication. That means time to start looking for an editor to give my story a once over to try to make it as error free as possible.

I researched and googled, went through the sites I had bookmark and narrowed down my options. I asked other authors on twitter to get an idea on cost or recommendations. Then I looked up comma usage and printed out one site that detailed a few rules and gave examples. I read it over a few times to make sure I understood. I figured I'd give editing a go, see if I can figure out where to put punctuation marks. My thoughts were either give an editor less work or do it myself and forgo an editor. It's not required I hire an editor after all. I opened my WIP and started reading.

I didn't get very far.

Wow, can you say boring? Seriously, I have a new and profound awe for editors. I can't fathom doing that job. I can't look at my WIP line by line, examine and analyze each sentence or spot where a comma is needed. I don't have the patience. Of course, maybe this is something that takes practice and experience. Or college. College might definitely help.


I don't know, all I know is I have no desire to do that. I'll stick to writing and let others tell me where to put punctuation. Of course this means once I have a WIP done, I either need to become really good friends with an editor or hire one. Thankfully, there are lots of editors out there. I just need to find a good one. And one I can afford. Any editors want to be my friend?

4 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. I call them the "comma cops." I couldn't do it, but someone has to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find one you can work with. I'm not sure what the costing is for editors, but I imagine they earn their money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bryce, I like the term Grammar Nazi >.> May not be PC but it's funny.

    @Rebecca, it varies but for a average length book, $500 and up. Most go by word count.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use Grammar Czar. Remember, there are two kinds of editors: copy editors who look for and find the errant comma, and editor-editors who read for consistency, story line, character development, dialog, etc. My agent is my editor-editor and I can't live without her input and advice. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete