Saturday, June 25, 2011

I suppose it's time

Well, I suppose this is my official announcement. Before when I talked about publishing I was wishy-washy. I said I was thinking of indie publishing but still considering traditional. (Sorry folks, I'm not saying legacy. I like traditional better. =P) But given the emails I've been sending lately and the people I've been talking to, I might as well admit it.

I'm going indie.

I can already hear the nay-sayers bemoaning my mistakes and the hardcore indies rejoicing. Both of you need to hold up. My reasons for going indie aren't as black and white as you might think. I am not an either/or person on this subject. I see both indie and trad as options. Nothing more, nothing less. Some people will thrive going the indie route and others are content with going trad. It's up to each person to decide. I decided indie.

When I first started looking into publishing I was going to go trad. I hadn't even known indie existed! But as I learned more, indie started to appeal to me. I am a do-it-yourself-er. While I have no Photoshop (or Gimp) skills, the idea of finding a graphic designer to do my cover art excited me. I wanted to be in control of that and I knew with trad publishing, I would lose that control. I could make suggestions but the final decision was someone else's. Same with the title. I wasn't comfortable with that.


Finding someone to edit was a bit more daunting task - one I wouldn't mind letting an agent handle. But I don't have an agent. I skipped over that. Which a few years ago would have been insane. Hell, a few months ago that probably would have been insane. I still hope to snag an agent one day. If I want my book translated to another language, I will need someone with the connections and knowledge to do that. My hope is by publishing myself, I can prove my stories are something readers want and taking me on as a client isn't an unknown risk.

Of course I am aware I don't need an agent to get a trad publisher. There are plenty of small presses that take on writers without agents. But again, the lack of control over certain aspects, uncertainty about advances and time is what kept me from going trad with a smaller publisher. Time the biggest reason. I am sorry but I don't have the patience to wait. I don't want to. Yes, I know I could be writing my next story but there's still the fact that I will be waiting. Not just months but years as well. I do this myself and I can get my writing out faster... or as fast as my beta readers get back to me and I rewrite.

All of those reasons are why I chose to go indie but it's up to each writer to weigh the options. Pick what you're comfortable with, the path you want to walk. Indie publishing isn't going to be the death of traditional, not any time soon. Indie is just another tool to get a story into a reader's hands. There is no you or us. I hope by going indie I can help prove that and help raise the standards of writing for indie. We all know some people think it's okay to write a first draft, make a cover with MS Paint and hit publish. It's not. Indie is as serious business as traditional. And that is why I chose to go Indie.

15 comments:

  1. It's all good. Both have their pluses and minuses. I was super against going indie/self publishing, but I'm seeing more and more perks to it.

    I will probably try the traditional route at some point, but I'm thinking, very very soon, I'll be self publishing my book The Other Side. I think, like you, it's a patience thing. I want to see what the public thinks of my writing, ya know? :)


    Best of luck to ya! (and I'll def. have more pages for you soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... moar pages! Nom, nom... oh wait, I don't eat them. lol Sorry, lack of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOOO! You go girl :) you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you sound like you've made a considered decision and the right one for you (which is really all that matters). Should be exciting next few months. Good luck!

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best, Patricia...this sounds like a well-thought out decision, and will work out well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. Now I am nervous as hell. Hoping to hit publish around November because it will be my blog anniversary and my birthday. =) We'll see though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And let's not forget how awesome that cover looks! I would seriously kill for a cover that awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your decision. That's really cool. Both are totally viable business decisions, so you just have to do what you feel is best.

    I still think it's just such an awesome accomplishment to actually write a book. There are so many people who always say they want to do it, but to do it is another thing completely. Congrats on this huge accomplishment.

    And when your ready to release it, let me know, I'll plug it on my blog, facebook, twitter, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the offer Austin, I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm published both ways and would love to have my fiction work taken up by a Trad publisher like Random House or Golanz, but it's not as straightforward as some seem to think. So I have my fiction published on the 'Self Published' route.

    It's hard work getting my books stocked by a book store and even harder keeping them there - but they sell when I do get them in and they sell online as well.

    On the Trad publishing for my fiction I will just say this. I now have a scrapbook of rejections from publishers and agents that range from the rude to the encouraging - but they are all rejections. The problem is that I write stories with a military scifi background - and in the UK that is instant death! The literary world there hates military fiction, especially if it makes the military look like sane reasonable and decent people.

    That said, there is a market for my fiction - or I wouldn't have people buying my books. For the record, I'm about to self-publish my fourth in a series of these adventures aimed at Young Adult/Adult...

    Sort of speaks for itself really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! I'll be going that direction myself. There's just so little that traditional publishing can offer, especially with the way bookstores are shrinking. I'm hoping to get a book on Amazon for the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wah- that's a great news! Best wishes- :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck! I know you have a lot of work ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete