Monday, May 2, 2011

Support

I would just like to add that it's only been a few days since the end of the A to Z Challenge and it feels weird doing a normal post. Thankfully I had a few posts I wrote ahead of time during the challenge. It will be like it never happened.... Or not. You know what, just enjoy the post, think on it or sleep on it. (That's what I'm going to do. I'm rambling aren't I?) Let's start from the beginning. Hi, I'm Patty... Wait, not that beginning.

Here is your regularly scheduled blog post, no challenges or themes, just my thoughts (hope that doesn't scare you away.)

As you may know, I've been debating which way to go with my book: Traditional or Indie. Through my debate I have been searching and discovering. Indie (or self publishing as some call it) is very much like traditional in there are many good authors putting books out there. Some debate that there are too many bad ones but hey I've read a few too many bad traditionally published book myself. Crap is going to find it's way onto a bookshelf. Whether that bookshelf is real or virtual doesn't matter.

But good or bad Indie books verses good or bad Traditional books is not what I want to talk about.

I want to talk about support. I've followed a few Indie authors in my question to decide how to publish. They're nice people, they respond back when I mention them on Twitter. I could say that's more than what I can say about some traditional publishing but I think that point is irrelevant. Indie authors are struggling a bit harder to be seen. They don't have the resources a publisher has to get seen. That's one of the cons of Indie.


Anyways, back to topic of support. Among their tweets, they put up links encouraging tweeters to give a look at their book. It's on sale! they'll add. Only 99 cents!

I've found myself shying away from the sales and offers of freebies. Instead I have a wishlist on Barnes and Noble of Indie author's ebooks. All listed at $2.99. Why am I going for that when I could get the books much cheaper? Well for one, $2.99 isn't that much to spend compared to the $9.99 plus hard copy books outside of the Nook store. Secondly, I want to support the author and 99 cents just feels like they are selling themselves short. A writer friend, Austin James did a great blog post about why he thinks 99 cent ebooks are bad for publishing. You can read it here. (Yes I linked the whole sentence so you won't miss clicking!)

Sure 99 cents is great for a short sale, maybe around holidays but all the time? Give yourself a little more credit! Because like I've already said $2.99 for a book isn't that much. I have no problem spending that on a book and if I don't like the book I've still only thrown out $2.99. (I bought a book once, hardcover, new release, thought I'd love it. Couldn't even finish it. Want to know how much I spent? $16.99! This was a traditionally published book too. I felt ripped off!) So come on people! Don't be afraid to shell out a few more bucks. Show a good Indie author your support. And if you don't like the book? That's what reviews are for. Just be nice when you're explaining why you didn't care for the book. Authors are people that bleed too.

5 comments:

  1. +1 follower from blog hop, cool blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I hadn't thought of it like that. Great point Patricia. It is about showing support, isn't it!

    Hugs,

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points! I agree, I have no problem spending $2.99, I've spent a heck of a lot more on traditionally published books I ended up hating.

    I wanted to let you know too that I have given you the Stylish Blogger Award on my blog, I really enjoy your site. :)

    http://julieflanders.blogspot.com/2011/05/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment (and the award!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit I've been mostly buying cheap books since I got my Kindle. But in my defense, it's because I'm just low on spending money after the big purchase. I agree though that 2.99 is a good, affordable price. I'll probably go with that (or something higher depending on how long my book is) when I eventually self publish.

    ReplyDelete