Thursday, May 26, 2011

Me: OMG That rocked You: Umm, are you blind?

FYI I'm still in editing trenches and it's gonna reflect in my posts until I'm done.

Maybe it's just me but half the time I don't get how people can complain so much about a movie or book or some form of entertainment. I pretty much like 99.99% of what I see. No lie. I'm easy to entertain. Of course maybe it's my mentality towards entertainment, which is an escapists mentality. I want to get away from the real world, forget it even existed while sitting in the dark theater or lost between pages.

I'm sure most people do as well but for me, I take a certain amount of pride, I guess, in getting swept away by a story. I just don't care about spotting typos or errors, they are unimportant as soon as I sit back and relax. I noticed when I read a book, the only punctuation I notice are periods. Yeah, I know commas and semi-colons and all those other little marks are in there but if I think back, I don't recall seeing them. I don't take a mental note on where they are placed so I can try to apply it to my own writing. (Spelling errors... I'm so bad at spelling I doubt I'd notice.)

Of course, this isn't to say I don't notice bad acting or when a storyline starts getting shoddy. I'm saying it probably has to be really bad for me to notice. Movies I can completely forgive too but books, not so much. I'll start skimming to get through it faster if I want to see how it ends. Or flip to the end.

I read books to take a break from life, same with movies. As long as I'm entertained, I can forget flat acting or choppy writing. Hell, I probably won't even notice until someone points it out. Easily entertained (and amused) but someone's has to balance the critic that complains non-stop.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on this. Lots of times when I read complaints people have about a show or book, I realize I never even noticed what they are so upset about. If I'm bored with a movie I'll stop watching, and I skim books too, but I still don't really complain much, I just forget about it. I guess I am easily entertained too LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm easily entertained as well. Since I made the decision to write full-time, I notice bad writing on shows like Dana Delaney's new show, Body of Proof. It's cringe worthy. I also notice typos in novels I read. I can't help it. It's a bit upsetting that I can't just enjoy reading or watching something without the critical eye any more. Hopefully, it will make me a better writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like that too, a good book or movie to sweep me away from every day life is what I enjoy. I don't even notice a period while reading ...

    http://scattermusings.blogspot.com/2011/05/if-you-can-forgive-but.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read a book or watch a movie, I go in there with a very particular mood of 'Will I be reviewing this or not?". If the answer it yes, then I make sure I'm objectively critical of it, and so I pick up on grammar issues, plotholes and shoddy CG usage a lot more. If not, I allow myself to enjoy the book/movie in its entirety. I consider myself to be easily entertained, but I make sure that I've not got my 'reviewer' head on at certain times :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know I'm not alone in being easily entertained. Thanks for the comments. They entertained me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think writers have a bad habit of becoming overly critical in their reading because they get stuck in "editing mode". I know at one point I got so caught up in analyzing everything I read to try to learn from it as a writer that I stopped being able to just sit back and enjoy a book for a while. It was not a good time. I'm much happier when I'm not so critical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love getting dragged into a good television drama or movie, the same with books. I'm there for the escapism. I can't flip to the end of a book though. If I'm getting itchy to know what happens, it just makes me read faster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sarah, I can't even do attempt to analyze, a page in and I completely forget that I wanted to look at the book with a writer's eye and try to learn something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I happily forgive typos in a good story. However a bad story + bad writing + bad formatting... *smoulder* I'll happily shred the author.. as mean as that sounds. I think the problem now is the mix of real indie authors with the indie who's working the 'get rich quick' scheme and pumping out crap books at a novel a month. It makes it damn hard for those of use spending 12-18months on A book... cause we always end up compared to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Nicole, I think we need to shred the 'get rich quick' indie authors. =P It's kind of one of the reasons I want to go indie, to help prove that you can't just put crap out to be published, you need to put as much effort into as an agent, editor and publisher would.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup, I agree with Sarah. The fusspots are usually writers themselves. If someone uses a semicolon in a book review, it's a dead giveaway. *g*

    ReplyDelete