Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Indie VS Traditional Round: Excitement

I've been thinking a lot about publishing the last couple of days. I've been a little wishy-washy about what route I plan on taking, told a friend I was would probably go indie, my hubby thinks I should go indie and it does appeal to the DIY in me.

That's for another time though.

A question popped in my brain, one I had to debate with myself about. Who deserved more excitement about getting a book published: Indie author or Traditional author? Okay, so this may not be an important question but I still wonder. One could argue Indie because they're doing all the work themselves - or more of the work. Indie means either doing the cover yourself or finding a cover artist, finding an editor yourself and slogging through formatting and everything else it takes to hit published. And when the author finally hits published, the excitement is well deserved. They did it and without the help of an agent or publisher.

But a traditional author has earned their excitement at their book being published as well. After all, they snagged an agent and the agent found an editor and they polished the book until it shined. That alone took a good while to do. Then the agent sold the book to a publisher and the author signed a contract. Again, more time. Months to years can pass before a traditionally published author sees their book on the shelf and all that time spent agonizing and waiting is finally over.


So who deserves more?

In my humble opinion, I'm saying the traditionally published author. My reasons? The fact that they had the patience to go through all that. Traditional publishing is a waiting game, I've seen authors say it and agents say it. I get impatient waiting for my betas to finish their critique. (In all reality, I didn't wait for all of my betas to get back to me before pulling what I had open and go at it.) I have to give credit to someone who can do that, who can wait it out.

All you traditionally published authors and the ones to be, kudos to you for doing it. You have way more patience than I do. When your book finally hits the shelf, you totally deserve the excitement. As for the Indie authors (which even though I'm still being wishy-washy will probably include me) you deserve the excitement of being published as well, I'm just giving the bigger trophy to the traditional authors.

What's your opinion?

7 comments:

  1. Patricia,

    I would tend to agree with you and say that traditional authors should be celebrated. Absolutely. Kudos to those others that stood firm and took rejection after rejection but still believed in themselves and finally got published. Sherrilyn Kenyon is one of those. Editors and agents told her that her stories wouldn't attract an audience and wouldn't sell. Those stories laid dormant for some 13 years. In addition to other stories, all her stories were published...even the ones that she was told wouldn't attract an audience.

    I think that editors and agents and the traditional publishing industry believe they have their pulse on what people want to read and because of that, they pass on stories that are great stories. I believe that it should be left up to the reader because after all, writers are readers. We are often inspired by other writers, stories, movies...which was all written by someone.

    At some point, if I'm lucky, I plan to be the author that does both (traditional and Indie). Thirteen years ago, self publishing wasn't an option for Sherrilyn Kenyon. I'd like to think though, if it had been an option, she wouldn't have waited 13 years to share what have turned out to be inventive and entertaining stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Erin. It also makes me wonder if the stories would have been different because of editing. Or what stories we missed because the person gave up before self publishing became an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of think self publishers should get more excitement. Actually managing to be traditionally published certainly takes dedication, true, but these days it also requires you to bend over and lick the shoes of agents and editors. I can't respect a system that reduces writers to desperate, quivering slaves and I can only feel pity for the writers caught up in it.

    I feel great respect for writers who are taking control of their business and their future by self publishing. I think they're contributing to a revolution that will make the world a better place for readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sarah, I was leaning that way first but with my impatience, I find it insane how people who traditionally publish can wait so long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel you on the impatience front. I think all trad. pubbed authors should get solid gold medals for having the strength of will and of mind to stick with it and keep on going. Regardless of the effort that goes into self-publishing (which is undeniably HUGE), at least indie authors control the process, rather than having to wait on a LOT of other people to make the dream come true.

    Let's face it, in the end indie authors only have to convince one person their work is of publishable standard in order to get it published - themselves. Convincing a lot of other people, or waiting for an agent or editor to convince them, takes skills I'm not sure I have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's pretty much exactly how I feel Anne-Mhairi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I think you can celebrate either way, but really the work is just beginning on publication day, whichever route you go. My kudos go to those who work their butts off at promoting their work and putting out more books and who are able to turn writing into a career (assuming that's their goal).

    Interesting post. :)

    ReplyDelete