Thursday, April 28, 2011

Y is for Patty with a Y

I swear it was like lightening. The inspiration for this post struck and I must write it! Although... I'm not too sure what exactly I intend to ramble on about this topic besides the fact I get slightly irritated when people assume my name ends in an I. (Chris do NOT even think about tormenting me about it. You give me enough hell with Daeva.)

I'm not even sure why it matters. I am used to people butchering my maiden name: Beaudin. The most common misspelling for that it Bodin. Next comes Beaudoin which isn't far off because there are people who spell it that way. Not my family though but it does make us wonder if there is some distant relation to those Beaudoins.

Maybe it's because it's my name. Names can be special to us. We can be proud of the heritage behind our names or the meaning. I have no idea the meaning behind my name; never looked it up. It's my name though and that makes it special to me.

There are some downsides to my name. I am not a big fan of Peppermint Patty from Peanuts and dislike being called that. Cow Patty is also not appreciated. Patty Cake, Fish Patty, Hamburger Patty, references to St. Patrick's Day, just about anything you can tack Patty onto I'd rather you wouldn't.


What else to say? Maybe I could tie this into writing and characters names... Naw, rambling is more fun. It's the end of the challenge, no one's reading anymore, we're all racing to the finish line. (I have no idea if  that's true. I hope not. I still plan on reading a few more other blogs for the challenge. It's been great fun.)

I also think I'm going to end on this note. Check back tomorrow for the last post of the challenge which I am not writing. I'm going to have a guest and contest with a book to give away. All you have to do is comment to enter!

9 comments:

  1. I hear you.

    Posting every single day can get maddening, especially when it is supposed to be done to theme.

    I know it really challenged me---coming up with a flash piece a day sometimes felt like a punishment.

    But in the end it was worthwhile, I guess, cos through the challenge I met people like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, you're making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. =) Glad to meet you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain Patty. People call here and ask for Sara Ho-goo, Hog-yoo, Hogee, Hoe, Hogie...
    It is really that hard? My name is Sara Hogue...pronounced like rogue. Oye. And how about when people add an H to my first name. Uh-uh. No way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... i am the same. people say can i call you jerry...germany, germy, and sometimes jeremia
    A to Z Blog Challenge Participant
    Jeremy [iZombie]
    izombielover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patty,

    I feel your pain. I can appreciate getting prickly about your name being misspelled, even when it is another name like Patti, or as Sara said: Sarah. My mom was Patti, it is my middle name (although I use Patricia). My own name gets torn to shreds.

    It is Corinne, pronounced cor-inn. Not Cor-een, and definitely not Connie. When people see it handwritten, they sometimes call me Lorraine. HA! It is misspelled so often that I have an email address for the error at my job. Corinne@ Corrine@ Corrinne@ are my three email addresses.

    Would be so much easier if people just paid attention and respected the detail, lol.

    Tomorrow is the END! I have loved this challenge. I am still reading many and hope people are still reading mine. :)

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder who it was that first came up with alternate spellings for names? They should be punished! I have a problem with people sticking an 'e' on the end of my name (which is Carol) and I even had a boss once that kept calling me Caroline, even after her boss kept correcting her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our names are the first thing that says who we are so it's important you're happy with it. If you spell it with a Y, you spell it with a Y. End of. I personally never realised you were called Patty and have always called you Patricia. I'm not sure which of the two you prefer now?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @CR OMG I hate when people do stuff like that. For me it's Pat. I can't stand it when ppl call me Pat. I had an art prof in college that no matter how many times I told him, he kept calling me Pat. I gave up.

    Rebecca, Either or, I'll answer. I guess you could say Patricia's my writing name. lol

    PS I got a lot more comments on this than I thought! XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a cousin with your name, but she's often shortened to Trish.

    ReplyDelete