Sunday, April 24, 2011

U is for Unknown

Flashes erupted before my eyes leaving spots in my vision. A high pitch sound wailed in the background and the ground vibrated with footsteps. A warm hand gripped the back of my head, holding the source of the flashes. A face hovered behind the flashlight. Lips moved, each syllable slowly formed but quickly picked up speed.

"Can you hear me? Sir? Sir, can you hear me? Can you tell me your name?"

****

My eyelids fluttered and I rolled over. Metal clinked together, my restraints preventing me from moving far. I slumped back and I finished blinking away the sleep. My room was cast in darkness all the color drained away by the light of the moon shining through the window. I grumbled, annoyed my medication wore off again.

Gaze darting to the door, I strained my ears to listen. Footsteps echoed down the hall, growing fainter as the orderly made his rounds. Satisfied I wouldn't be discovered, I stretched, fingers groping under the mattress until I found the stash of pills I swapped with another patient. They stuck in my throat as I forced them down.


Hunger rumbled in me, clawing at my throat. I squeezed my eyes shut, a soft whimper escaping me. Always in the dead of night hunger welled in me. It tore through my like a hurricane, shredding my thoughts. I felt mindless when the hunger came, helpless against it. Finally, when the medicine started kicking in the hunger released me, sleep my only relief.

My life was a mystery to me, the start of my memories waking to a paramedic hovering over me with a small flashlight. Everything before that; my name, where I lived, even how I got into the accident was a mystery. My mind was a blank slate with no answers.

With no clues to my identity I ended at Wells Institute. The doctors worked with me every day, trying to coax my mind into answering. All they discovered was an eating disorder. I threw up the food I ate, racing to the bathroom or nearest trashcan. I couldn't stop myself, couldn't resist the urge to purge the food. I was tested for food allergies, diet after diet tried. Nothing worked and often I found myself bed stricken; too weak from lack of nutrition to move.

Finally a liquid diet was tried and found moderate success. I sucked protein shakes down, chugged water and guzzled juices like my life depended on it. Despite my energy restored I still hungered for more, every night waking to it coursing through me like a poison.

I wish I knew what was wrong with me. I wish I knew what happened to me. The answers are there, I know it! Stuck in the unknown, waiting for me to discover who I am.

5 comments:

  1. So you've started posting your fiction too! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I am on the edge of my seat! Blessings,Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. All they discovered was an eating disorder. If you start taking your diet properly then you can find lot of main things. You must meet some doctor and need to find all the solutions to these problems.

    ReplyDelete