Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Q is not for Quitting

Quitting. I think this is another contradictory piece of advice I have heard in the writing community. Never give up! Keep writing! Keep submitting that query. And yet I have heard agents say if you keep getting rejected on your query maybe you should move onto the next story. Quit and focus on another.

Yeah, I think you get where I see a bit of contradiction.

Let me ask this: Do you have any idea how many famous authors have been rejected countless times? Steven King? JK Rowling? The Chicken Soup for the Soul books were rejected over a hundred times if I remember correctly!


Are you reconsidering giving up still? I hope so. Maybe the reject slips are piling up, maybe you're getting disheartened but you're not the first and you won't be the last to be rejected. I think that's reason enough to keep trucking. You believe in your story, love it and have slaved over it to make it shiny. Things change over time and one day you might receive that yes.

Then all those no's are suddenly worth it.

9 comments:

  1. That's the one thing that will keep me putting my work out there, the fact that many famous authors had many rejections first. Great post Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we try to sell a novel we're not only selling that single story. We're attempting to sell a whole career worth of novels. So, if one story isn't working, it's not "giving up" if we move on to another story. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. Definitely not giving up.

    An excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it's quitting. I think of it as putting it back on a burner for more cooking while working on something else. I think after you get more knowledge, get some nibbles on something else, you can go back to that other novel and maybe now see what changes can be made so that it has a better chance at getting picked up.

    Never give it up. Quitting is for losers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. when you walk along a path how many things do you reject. or do not take notice of , do you stop walking. you will meet some one that has eye to see that you are there. ears to hear what you have to say. and some willing to sing of your praise. thank you and god bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good advice. I think of every no as one closer to the yes.

    I’m A-Z Blogging on Langley Writes about Writing and Langley’s Rich and Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. MBee nothing wrong w/ putting a story on the back burner.

    Lynda just don't forget that first story! One day there might be a place for it.

    We're writers, quitting shouldn't be in our vocabulary... unless it's needed in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After considering some of the comments I've received from agents, or the lack of comment in some cases, I still decided quitting was not an option for me. Everyone's situation is different, though. Each person must decide when it's best to "cut bait."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent point! While our focus may change from time to time, i.e. to work on a second story, we should never give up!! :)

    ReplyDelete