Thursday, March 31, 2011

A is for April 1st

First day of the A to Z Blog Challenge and there's really not going to be a lot to this post. After all, not only is it April Fool's Day but also my wedding... Kinda... Sorta... Maybe...

I'm not sure what to call it now that I think about it. My boyfriend of eight years and I aren't going to have a ceremony. There's no white dress or quaint church. There's no list of attendees. Including me and Kel eight people will be there. My parents, my little sister and my two best friends whom I've known all my life so their attendance is mandatory. Plus one bff's boyfriend who will probably get elbowed and have "HINT! HINT" whispered at him the whole time.

It's not going to be much of a ceremony. The main reason we're finally tying the knot is Kel got a job with health insurance but I'm the one with medical problems. Don't fret, that's not the only reason, we are madly in love with each other. Hello, eight years together has to mean something right?

So we're getting married and that means everything is going to be messed up. Taxes next year will be totally different, joint checking accounts, both of us on car insurance and I need to figure out what to do about my name. Apparently a woman can take her maiden name and use it as her middle name then take her husband's last name. But Kel has informed me that would make my initials PBR and that's a crappy beer, thus making it out of the question. I don't want to give Lynne up anyways. I've been tacking it on everywhere, my writer friends know me as Patricia Lynne. Honestly, I'd rather keep my maiden name. Despite people butchering the pronunciation (it's Bo - like a bow and arrow - din - like time for din-din) I'm fond of it.



I think I'll worry about that tomorrow. If we get married tomorrow. My mother, while on the phone with me, says, "Did you make an appointment?" I was silent. Nothing we found said we needed to make an appointment. Maybe we're being rash but we figured we'd just show up at the right place with the right paperwork and that'd be that. Speaking of phones, I should probably call my grandma and tell her at some point. It's a little late for 80 year old women so maybe tomorrow before the big event.

Wow, this post has gone on a lot longer than I thought. I'll leave you with this final image. A picture of the happy couple (me and Kel if you haven't guessed.) I'm especially happy in this picture because we just saw Green Day live and it was amazing. It's hard to decide who I love more: Kel or Green Day. (His shirt says Save the planet, it's the only one with beer.)

28 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Yes, it totally counts as your wedding day even if there is not a white dress and all that hoo ha! My hubs and I got married on our 8th anniversary. We'll be together 20 years this summer so CHEERS for the ones who wait for eight! Adorable picture, btw. :)

    Don't fret about the paperwork and legal bits, its a lot easier than it sounds to combine. I did the maiden to middle, a benefit of which is that your ID still makes sense if things are not all the same yet. If you decide to change over, you can still maintain your "professional" name.

    Very happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! what an awesome post...never expected to read something like this for A-Z challenge :) Wish you a very happy married life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Corinne. So long as you and your intended are there, it's a wedding.

    So congratulations and best wishes!


    My Pet Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assuming this isn't an April Fool's Day joke, congratulations! I had a similarly small wedding and it was perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations. Wow, exciting stuff. My hubby and I eloped on the beach, just us the person that married us and a photographer/witness. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I was always proud that I kept my maiden name (there is a big story as to how I got my surname in the first place and I didnt want to lose it) and I took on my (now ex) husbands name as well and hyphenated them. Was a good comprimise back when I was married. I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATULATIONS! I know exactly what it means to be with someone for so long, I'm hitting 8 years with my Man this year!! I'm sure everything will work out! and what an original post this turned out to be :) -,-'-@
    Anyway, I think that's perfect, I wouldn't mind doing something like that too.
    I'm also all about keeping my maiden name - I sort of announced it to my partner, haha, but who knows when and if we get married.
    Congratulations once again - Enjoy YOUR BIG DAY, no matter how small...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! (Alison it's not a joke. I picked this day because it's April fools day and to do something serious on it. My parents kept checking to make sure we weren't joking too!)

    Went down to the courthouse this morning to make sure we weren't forgetting anything. Should have seen me, walk away, go back and ask another question, walk away, go back and ask another question. Did that three times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS! Wishing all the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats live long and prosper. good post need a little more a uh... maybe ... beer. any way God Bless ;-) for the bride {} [] xo 44's,88's for the groom, drink lot of water it comes out better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Wow!! Congratulations!!! I'm so thrilled for you. What a great post to read. I love the photograph. Wishing you so much happiness Patricia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post to kick off the challenge!! Congratulations and wishing you a lifetime of love, happiness and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! That is TOTALLY a wedding ceremony and sounds very personalized, small and special. Cherish it for it means a big, fun, exciting, frustrating, annoying, joyous, flabbergasting, life long change. :) Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wooots, congrats Patricia. I have also nominated you for a blog award. See here, http://drrux.blogspot.com/2011/04/overloard-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! My first day here and I'm already in love! I Love it!!!! CONGRATS AGAIN!!!

    I'm here to welcome you to the A to Z blogging challenge. I'm one of the co-hosts, should you have questions just ask away! I do hope you'll stop by my blog! I'm also having fun on twitter (@jenunedited) and about to stalk you there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations Patricia!!! That's exciting. I hope you have a beautiful day.

    I didn't take my husband's name, either. It sounded horrible with Logan, and I was kind of attached to my maiden name. Still, every year I get a Christmas check from my grandpa with my married name on it. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yup, so as you say "I Do" it's a wedding!
    Good luck tomorrow and Congratulations.

    http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great blog to begin, a beginning of a commitment. Congratulations, Patricia!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on getting married! 8 years is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ^_^ Well, I am proud to say today is a day I won't forget. It was absolute silliness while we were at the county clerk but we did it. Kel and I are hitched but I don't think I can say official until we get the actual license Wednesday.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=10150137200076234&id=649286233&aid=288580 Here's pics with more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome to the A to Z Challenge! Hope you will have a rewarding blogging experience in April. If there are any questions or comments please let me or my co-hosts know. You can find all the Challenge hosts listed at the top of my blog page.

    And Congratulations on the big event! Will you have time for A to Z.



    Contrary to my usual practice of subscribing to comments, to save time during challenge I will not be doing so during April. If you want to respond to my comment , please email me directly from your email notification for the comment.
    Thanks.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations Mrs! That is so awesome. :)

    *passes out champagne*

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on your wedding, or, ceremony, or whatever you are calling it.....it's a romantic way to start the Spring season. Now that it's 8 years, you guys must be meant for each other so I'm glad that you two found each other and are making your union official.

    As far as the taxes and other stuff that you said is going to get messed up, it won't be so bad and your hubby has health insurance, so that is good news!

    You'll be able to handle whatever comes your way....especially since both of you have each other to deal with the paperwork and changes that come with marriage.

    It's a small task for an even bigger reward :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, Congrats! I know it all starts off a mess, but it melds nicely together after a while. You could consider hyphenating your name (just a thought).

    I know everything will turn out amazingly. Good luck!
    ~2

    ReplyDelete
  25. The best part about your initials is that it also happens to be the initials of the toughest sport. So I like PBR!

    Nik

    http://myfighttostayalive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations :D Purely because I'm on the receiving end of the elbowing and the *HINT HINT*, I'll say 8 years isn't long enough ;) I hope you're both uber happy together :D

    Also, his T shirt? EPIC!

    ReplyDelete