Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cha-cha-cha-changing!

Writing can be like wine. The more time that passes the better your writing becomes. Or maybe a better analogy would be evolution. Your writing evolves as you write. Either way it is true, time passes and your writing improves with each second.

Think of a series. Which book do you love the most? For me I always love the later books in a series better than the first books. The first ones aren't horrible, but the later books just feel better, the writing is better. Even in individual books I've noticed this. The beginning I tend to stop, noticing choppy paragraphs, a disruption in flow but as I read the flow smooths out and by the end I haven't noticed a single sentence that felt choppy.

It's not just others writing but my own as well. I can see the improvements I made if I go back and read older stories I've written. Even in Being Human. I'll admit right now that I've had a few people say the beginning is the weakest, that as they read my writing became stronger. Does that mean the beginning sucks? Not at all. It simply means that I have aged and evolved. Will I change the beginning? Only a little. I've tweeked it after a friend's critique. A few sentences disappeared, a few words changed here or there but all in all, nothing major was changed. The beginning isn't crap after all. I have simply grown since and will continue to grow as long as I continue to write.

Change can be terrifying but it's something we all have to face. I think that was one of the lessons I tried to teach Tommy in his story. He fears he's changing too much, hating how complex his life feels and the uncertainty before him. Something we all have felt at one point. In the end, Dan helps Tommy understand, explaining how change is good, can make us a better person (or in Tommy's case a better vampire.)

PS: I got the title from the song Changes by Butterfly Boucher. Listen to it, get it stuck in your head. It's stuck in mine!

12 comments:

  1. I think we do progress with our writing, we just need to make sure that we stick with it through that tough period so that we can make it out the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the wine analogy,and I agree - like wine, writing definitely matures with age :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some wines go bad if they sit around too long. Their shelf-life is not infinite. Hummmmmm, maybe that's an analogy for 'finish your query letter, and start sending it out'!!! ;-) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you also have to remember who you are writing for. You have to make your beginning flow just as it would in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the time I finish a MS I've learned so much and evolved so much I could probably sit down and write the entire thing again much better. But like you said, we grow and change and it's a good thing. Good post, Patricia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that with a series of books (or a television show, which is just a series of episodes)... you become more focused on your target audience as you go along... In the beginning, it's like you just want to hook people... but once people follow you (and encourage you), I think most authors become more confident in the story they want to tell - and who they are telling it to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Practice makes perfect is the old saying. It makes sense that the more we write, the more we should improve. However, there may be something to be said about the writer's drive and inner spirit. A writer can become tired and the writing can show it. Or sometimes they can become so involved with their own personal agendas that they veer away from what their audience is looking for. If we lose the fire our writing can become lifeless and cold.

    I've signed up as a follower. I see the A to Z badge on your sidebar. Are you signed up for the Challenge? I couldn't find your name on the list, but there are so many there that I may have just overlooked it.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grow or die! That's my philosophy. Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme, but deep down I definitely feel that way about life in general. The same idea spills over into my hopes for my writing. Love the wine analogy, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, a few compliments on the wine analogy, is that saying us writers are all winos?

    @Arlee, yeah, I'm planning on doing the challenge. I think I'm on the list as Journey through the Pages.

    @DR I know my beginning is weak and part of the reason is because I've evolved since starting it. I was almost finished with the first draft when I started looking into writing seriously and looking for ways to improve my writing. I still have a long way to go IMO but I'm getting there with the rest of the wanna-be-writers. (Should make the a meme. lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's only one ch-ch-ch-ch-changes, and that's David Bowie's! :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. =P Well, in my defense the title wouldn't have looked as good, Brad. Plus the song stuck after I came up with the title. >.< (every time I see the post it gets stuck!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smart words, Patricia! Wine is a beautiful analogy foe the writing process. :)

    ReplyDelete