Tuesday, February 1, 2011

You want to what? Take my baby? Okay.

Through this blog, and twitter and well, social networking in general, I have meet a lot of people. People I share the same interests, people who are attempting the same journey I am and most importantly, people interested in my story. I've gotten comments telling me to keep them posted on my story, to keep the samples coming and a few who even offered to read and critique.

Admission time: That scares me.

It scares me like query letters scare me. What if the reader doesn't like it? What if they tell me it's crap and all my samples were misleading? What if I don't have a chance in hell of getting published? So many what ifs dragging me down and hindering me. But you know what? Those what ifs don't matter. They are just my insecurities, my fears I need to overcome on this journey.

And putting it that way excites me.

So I'm going to do it. When Erin is done grammar policing the current draft, I'm going to ask someone else to read it. I'm going to give my baby to another and trust that they will give it the same care I do. (And hopefully be gentle when they give me their opinion!) I need the fresh eyes to make this story the best possible, I need to cast my fears aside and take the next step. Most importantly, dear reader, I need you. Who's with me?

9 comments:

  1. yes add it it give the new comers a place to join, great writing and you are publish poeple all over the world are reading what you wrote. keep writeing god bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia, I will be honored to take care of your baby and promise to be gentle when I give my opinion. Count me in...best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would volunteer but lack the type of training / knowledge that would give you the criticism you need. Good for you for taking the step though! I dread that day as well but we can't keep moving forward without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when my agent called me for the first time and told me she was sending the novel out to the rounds.

    I woke up in the midddle of the night in a panic with the same issues. And then I couldn't write for another few months. fear is a paralyzer. But we all suffer it. You've got the right idea.

    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in - going by your writing style - your baby is going to be a pleasure : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all have those same fears and the good news is that you still have them after you have been doing it for years. I said good thing because that fear is what makes us stay sharp. It is what keeps us loving what we are doing, that excitement of creating. When anything and I mean ANYTHIng becomes boring we tend to become lazy, not as creative and loose interest. So nuture that feeling it is a good thing lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck to you, Patricia. I'm sure your baby will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You won't be sorry. Yes, there are readers out there who won't get you, but mostly it's like this: we each have our strengths and weaknesses--and the more readers you have giving you a read, the more you can LEARN to strengthen the things that don't come naturally. I figure we all keep learning and improving forever--you won't enjoy it (at least not if your reader does a good job) but like any good workout--you take it seriously and the work will improve. (I recommend 3 or 4, as SOME stuff will be individual preference, but everyone should help you improve it) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still stick by what I've said, and am more than happy to read it should you wish :)

    ReplyDelete