Friday, February 4, 2011

Stress Reduction Kit: Bang Head Here

I've been seeing a lot of discussion on building platforms and target markets. Everyone has a say in the matter, everyone has advice. That's not what this post is about. I have no advice. I have a question.

How?

How do I attract people interested in what I'm writing? This may seem like a stupid question but trust me, it's not. Because I hear a lot of conflicting advice. Some say follow other writers similar to you and their readers will see you. Then there's the opposite of that which is follow the readers and connect with them. I also hear Don't follow to many people on twitter. Two tweets later someone posts, Follow people, having few followers will make people not follow you. There's also talk about following agents, editors and publishers. You need to get your foot in the door. Don't forget to follow this chat on Twitter, make a fan page on Facebook, do this, do that. All the advice and suggestions make my head swim, rushing to try each piece of advice only to be warned, Make sure you leave time for writing!

At which time I firmly plant my head against my desk. Pulling the plug to the Internet never looked so inviting! Unplug and relax with nothing but my writing in front of me. Ah, that sounds like a dream!

I'm not asking you to comment your advice today. I'm asking you to take a moment, unwind. You don't have to pull the plug or turn twitter and Facebook off, but do take a moment. Reach inside and find your inner peace and become one with yourself because when you open your eyes the world will be waiting, ready to spew every piece of advice it can get its grubby hands on.

I feel better already. How about you?

11 comments:

  1. You'd think your stress levels would be way into the negative numbers with the number of times you headdesk while talking to me =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lololol I love it... I can "like" this right!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha......I'd like to add another suggestion for you.
    I read a few blogs and follow some authors on FB and the newer/first time published authors all seem to have a 'famous' author critiquing them or propping them up. Perhaps you need an established author friend to help spread the word about your book??
    Maybe though it will all just come together in the end and you'll wonder why you stressed after all:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need one of those squeezy things for every time someone says "Follow me I'll Follow you".

    This is the best piece of advice ever "All the advice and suggestions make my head swim, rushing to try each piece of advice only to be warned, Make sure you leave time for writing!" - Do you recognise it? LOL only kidding but it is a great piece of advice - great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap SJ those follow me, I'll follow you people annoy the hell out of me. Great, yeah, follow me but what about reading what I'm writing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. SJ, every time I hear that now, I just have to giggle. Patty, it was because of all these 'follow me, I'll follow you' that Blogplicity got started. At least something good came out of it:) It does drive me crazy though. When I first started my blog and went through networked blogs I was totally clueless and knowing I had to have 20 followers just for my blog to show up there seemed like something would never happen. I see some blogs that have 300 or even as high as 500 followers. I'm thinking 'man, do you even know any of these people?' I can't even tell you how many people are following me at this moment. I'm more concerned about actual readers and comments being left. I love the interaction. I love the friends I have made and the support system that is available to me.
    But back to your post Patty, it was great with thought provoking questions. I know my blog is different than yours in content, and I do follow other blogs that are similar to mine. But I also follow other blogs that are interesting to me as a person, or that just make me laugh. Everyone needs some humor in their life:)
    There are tons of people out there with ideas and suggestions to share about what worked for their blog. What you have to do is listen to what they are saying, and then pick out the pieces that work for YOUR blog. One thing I do know for sure and this applies to everyone I have met so far...it doesn't happen overnight. It takes time and a lot of hard work. You have to be persistent, and can not easily give up.
    Okay, that's all I have to say on that subject. Got long winded again:( sorry

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the most part, I try not to follow agents or publishers on the social media. I don't want to pander to them. Yes, it's good to take a break sometimes and do what we love, write!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patricia, I deal with all the distractions in a different way. I write first and then switch on the computer, some days I go offline when I am inspired to write...nice post

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, how I could have written this post just last week! It is very frustrating, and there is so much advice. I have been giving my blog new life this year and hoping that it will build its followers through content worth stopping by to read. The whole "have a platform" advice is the strangest to me, though. Great post... banging head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Squee, is it bad all your guys comments made me happy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great article! Those follow me and I'll follow you people drive me nuts as well! Who cares if you have 500 followers if no one ever reads or comments on your writing?! I joined a BUNCH of sites to network or market my stuff through. I have a profile up (I think) on all of them, but I basically just keep active in the ones where I've gotten the most traffic. So far, for me, I've met the most people through Blogplicity and the various poetry forums where I share my work. Of course, they are just regular bloggers. Who knows if I'll ever be seen by a publisher... though, one of my newest twitter followers is supposedly an indie publisher. :)

    ReplyDelete