Friday, February 18, 2011

Lost

I'm getting to that critical point in my writing. There is little more I can do, I've had a few people read and give me their thoughts, I've reworked my query and now I have to decide what to do. But what do I do?

Since I've started this blog I've learned so much about the writing world. Tons of advice to sift through and a lot has been extremely helpful. The biggest thing I think I've learned is about agents and publishing. I've learned that agents get a ton of queries EACH DAY. They have to sift through those queries along with reading partials and full manuscripts. They slog through slush piles each day looking for a gem and when they find that gem they snatch it right?

Nope.

The main thing I've learned about agents is they are really caring people. Even if  they are rejecting you. Why? Because they want writers to succeed. That means they will pass up the gems. Not because it's not shiny enough but because they feel they can't do the gem justice. An agent will pass up an amazing story because they feel that is more fair than taking the story and having it sit unsold because they couldn't find someone interested  in it. They pass it up in hopes another agent will be successful. (Of course sometimes a good story is passed up because there's no market for it either. After all it's the agent's job to sell the story and can you really blame them for passing on something they can't sell? I can't.)

And this is where I become lost.



I don't know what to do next. Query agents, wait for agent to read and respond. Then wait some more for agent to read the full manuscript then wait on editors and publishers. It's a big waiting game. Then once I get through all that, I have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

My other option is to do it myself. Self publish. A feat that requires no less work. I have to find my own editor, book cover designer, do my own promotion. I have to shell out my own money. And again, I have to cross my fingers and hope. The only real difference I see is I can get my story out faster. I don't have to wait for an agent or editor or publisher. I'm the publisher.

I'm leaning towards self publish, I am a do-it-yourself kind of gal and self publishing is an exciting new frontier. But I'm a bit loathed to pass up snagging an agent and the dream that through traditional I can hit it big like the authors I love. I'm torn and lost, being pulled in two directions. I think I need a moment of zen. Or any a bazillion links to help me make my decision.

11 comments:

  1. I say go for it.. self publish.. Who believes in you more then yourself... Good Luck I'll be watching to see what the future holds.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a Kindle sort of thing? I'm thinking of trying something like that myself. At least looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest what Bryan said... you could always self publish an electronic version only so you don't have to shell out so much money. I also suggest chatting with some of the folks at bestsellerbound.com. I just won a free tshirt and ebook from some authors there and it shoulds like a really supportive environment. I think many of them are big on self publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryan, yeah I mean Kindle. And nook and whatever other formats are out there. I do plan on having physical books as well. I did a little looking around and found some good info and got an estimate on pricing for everything I'll have to pay to do myself. It's not going to be cheap but if I become successful as a self pubbed writer then the investment will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a huge decision and only one you can make. Maybe you could write yourself a list of pro's and con's for each - Agent/self publish and see what it looks like on paper? Good luck with whichever choice you go with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just polish and polish and polish that story until you know there's nothing more you can do. When all of your crit partners have gotten back to you about the story, consider everything, and make any changes you feel are necessary.

    When you think the story is as perfect as it'll ever get THEN query. If you're debating self publishing, why not query agents as well? If they reject it you lose nothing, and you still have the self-publishing to fall back on, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be happy to offer help if you go the self-publishing route and I recommend finding Keary Taylors blog if you want a cover. She creates beautiful designs and designed my cover :) certainly worth a shot!

    The Arrival, only .99c on Amazon
    www.damselinadirtydress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have to go for a self publishing, so that you put in your total hard work in it, you wont try to compromise on any issues regarding your novel or a story..

    visit me on http://xploreer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your story is polished ... it's shiney and ready to go. What do you have to lose by sending your queries to potential agents and see if you can make a go of it?! I mean, seriously, how many times was Stephenie Meyer turned down before someone bit? ALOT! I say go the traditional route ... the reward will be worth the effort. It will legitimize your writing. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a hard decision. I think it all comes down to what you want out of your book. Do you want to see hard copies of it on shelves? Do you want to put all of the blood, sweat and tears into the editing, designing, and promoting? Best of luck as you ponder this one!

    ReplyDelete