Saturday, February 5, 2011

Green Day

Today I'm feeling a little generous. Today I feel like telling you something very important about me. I love Green Day.

What? You really think that's not important? Not to my writing? You're wondering did they influence me, are they who I listen to when I write? I guess the answer would be no. Green Day doesn't influence my writing and I don't listen to much of anything when I write. That doesn't change the fact that I still love them and am devoting this whole post to them.

Wait, this was suppose to be about me, wasn't it?

Well, it still is because this post is about my love for them. It started one sunny summer day.... Okay, let me be truthful, I don't remember much about that day. What time of year it was, how old I was or any of that. I just remember turning my dad's huge satellite dish on and finding MTV2. Back then MTV played music. A lot. MTV2 even more. I sat watching the videos and most of them didn't interest me. Then this one came on. It started in a mental hospital and the nurses put a guitar around a guys neck, they wheel another up to a set a drums and got the bass around the third guys neck. Then they started singing.

OMG! I was blown away. Do you believe in love at first sight? I do because that's what it was. Instant love. I learned who they were, sat in front of my tape player, finger poised over the record button so I could record them when they came on the radio. Which they rarely did and it annoyed me to no end they never played that song I saw on MTV2. They kept playing When I come around. To this day that is still my least favorite song because of that.



My first CD was 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours. I got it BEFORE I got a CD player. I still have Dookie and Insomniac on tape. In high school I had the biggest crush on Tre Cool. My yahoo email is tre_punker because of him. I have changed my hair color to green because of them. I have seen them live! TWICE! Second time I nearly cried when they came out. Now I almost get why back when the Beatles were big why they showed hordes of crying girls. Although why they looked like they were being murdered as they cried is still beyond me. If I could I would follow Green Day around the world and I can only pray I get to see them live again.



So yeah, that's my story for the day. I probably won't get any comments - although there is one person who might comment and I might have to kill him for what I know he will say - but that doesn't matter. I'm in a Green Day mood. The boys make my world a happy place and I hope they continued making music for many years to come. (I also hope I get to meet them one day.)

Maybe I can give this post a reason for people to comment. How many of you love Green Day too? Wait, no, how about this: What bands are your favorite? Who do you love? Oh, and for your viewing pleasure, the video that started my obsession. Basketcase by Green Day

7 comments:

  1. Yay. Green Day! They rock. I didn't start to really like them until their "American Idiot" album. "21 Guns" is my favourite song by them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Green Day are good, but I'm over the song '21 Guns' it was well and truly thrashed in our house!!.
    I know the lyrics to lots of Breaking Benjamin songs thanks to my hubby's obsession with them and other bands like Rise Against, MCR, Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed etc and on the flip side my girls have the likes of *cringe* Justin Bieber, Selina Gomez, Demi Lavato, Tokyo Hotel blaring from their ipod docks!!!!
    My own music tastes fall in between and consist of a mixture of everything from Florence and the Machine to Pink to Muse to The Foo Fighters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't listened to much of Green Day, and if I did, I doubt they would be my favorite. Nevertheless, out of their songs that I have heard, I really like Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Wake Me Up When September Ends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand your devotion to a band. Can't say I was a big fan of Green Day as I was more into Primus LOL at that time.

    Cheers A

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Green Day, can't say that I love them as much as you do though :) But I do understand being a super fan... the musical love of my life is The Smashing Pumpkins. They are my favorite band in the whole world. Billy Corgan's lyrics have played a major part in inspiring me to write poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Love Green Day. Loved your article and passed it on via twitter and Facebook

    ReplyDelete