Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sample Sunday: Danny

It's Sunday again and that means #SampleSunday on Twitter! I thought about what I wanted to post, what a good sample would be and came up with a great idea. I'd introduce you to the characters of Being Human. A different one each Sunday until I ran out of characters. Since you've already met Tommy, it seemed natural the next person would be his twin brother, Danny. The scene I picked is the night after Tommy's turning. He catches Danny's scent on the wind and follows to a cabin they spent summers at and they have a little back and forth and you learn what their relationship as brothers is. 

So ,please, meet Danny.

A porch stretched across the length of the front of the cabin, made of the same wood as sides of the cabin. The steps leading up were uneven. Nothing adorned the porch, no chairs, benches or mats. That felt odd to me. I felt something should be on the porch, something that gave signs of life.

“I knew you'd remember this.”

I turned, easily finding my brother. He stood on the edge of the lake. His shoes were off, pants rolled up as the water lapped at his toes. I wandered over to him, staring. Across the lake were more cabins, a few with lights. If I listened closely I could just make out the rhythms beating inside.

“I don't.”

“What?”

“I don't remember. I only caught scent of you and followed.” I replied.

“Oh.” My brother's shoulders slumped. He perked up a little. “You still came.”

“I didn't want another to find you.”

“Another what?”

“Vampire.”

“Oh.” My brother's voice sounded sad again.

“I don't want any others to find you because if one's going to kill you, it should be me.” I said.

My brother stared at me. His eyes widened, mouth open in shock. He seemed unable to find his voice. The only word he managed came out a croak. “Oh...”

I looked at him, seeing the fear in him as well as smelling it. “I wouldn't do that though.”

“Oh.” My brother repeated.

“I don't want you dead.” I continued.

“Oh?” This time his voice held a question.

“No,” I confirmed and paused, considering my next words. “You're my brother. I don't remember being your brother, but I feel it. It's why I stopped when you touched me. I saw you and knew who you were.” I looked at him, catching his gaze. “I won't let anyone hurt you. If they do I'll kill them.”

My brother's adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed loudly. “You don't have to do that.”

I tilted my head to the side. “Why not?”

Another bob of his adam's apple accompanied by a step back. “You look creepy when you do that.”

“Do what?”

“Tilt your head. It looks like you're thinking about eating me.”

I untilted my head. “It's crossed my mind.”

“But you said you didn't want me dead.” His voice was slow and uncertain.

“I don't.” I assured him. “I can bite and not kill. I choose not to.”

My brother was quiet for a long moment. As I watched him, emotions flashed across his face. Confusion replaced the fear, then anger, then fear again, but now the fear wasn't as strong. His words were carefully chosen when he spoke. “You choose not to... So you don't have to, but you do because you want to?”

Before I could answer, he turned away from me, heading back to the cabin. I followed wondering why he didn't want to hear my answer. Should I have lied to him? Is that what he wanted? There was no reason to lie to him. Lying was pointless.

I watched my brother tug his shoes on, unroll his pants and lay down on the grass. He spread his arms above his head, eyes staring above. I lay next to him, looking up. Thousands of stars sparkled above us, a partial moon glowing. There was a peacefulness to the scene, a serenity that lacked down here on the ground. I wondered what it'd be like to be up there, surrounded by peace.

“Are you mad at me?”

My brother looked at me and I realized the question came from me.

“No.” He said. “I'm trying to understand you. It's unnerving seeing you like this. So emotionless and void. You say everything in a matter-of-fact tone, like it's the truth and there's nothing I can do about it.”

“I feel emotions.”

“You don't sound like it.”

I sat up, looking at my brother. He stared back up at me, waiting. I smiled and still he stared.

“Well?” I finally asked.

“What?”

“I smiled.”

“I didn't see you smile.”

“Oh.”

“Your lips just twitched.” My brother pointed out. “Were you smiling again?”

“I was frowning.” I corrected and lay back down.

“Guess you do it too fast for me to see.” My brother sighed.

“Guess...” I replied.

We lay silent for a long moment. The stars twinkled and shined above us. The only sounds were the water lapping at the ground and my brother's breathing and heartbeat. All three were steady and soothing noises. I felt like the world around us didn't matter. Right now it was only me and him.

I didn't want it to end.

“T...”

In a flash, I sat up, silencing my brother. I stared at him, a feeling of unease welling in me. “Don't,” I whispered. “Ever say my name. Don't say mine and I won't say yours. Understand?”

“Okay,” my brother said. He raised an eyebrow at me. “Guess it's true what they say. Vampires fear names.”

“Names have power. Power to make you see what you don't want to see.”

“What don't you want to see?”

I leaned closer and my brother shifted uncomfortably. He kept his eyes on mine, trying not to let his fear overpower him. Was that human instinct? To naturally fear vampires? Had I? It made sense. Vampires hunted humans, humans were my prey and my brother should be my prey. But he wasn't, he was more than just blood to me. He was my brother and that was so important it trumped every vampire instinct in me.

My voice was whisper soft, just loud enough for him to hear. “We don't want to see you.”

2 comments:

  1. And you call me evil... I love it! Now let's go forth and show the world what real vampires are, and destroy those damn sparklepires! MWAHAHAAAAA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool Sample! Very intriguing indeed. If only I had more time to read... :o)

    ReplyDelete