Sunday, January 2, 2011

The miracles of Twitter hashtags

I have to admit, I've become addicted to Twitter hashtags. You know those string of words with a number sign before that when you click on it, you find other tweets similar. I like to add # to any number of words and see what I get. It's fun and amusing. It's more than fun and games though, you can find some really good info and people on Twitter via hashtags. For me, the ones I use a lot are #amwriting, #amblogging, #writing and on occasion #mtdew (it's the elixir of life!)

Today I discovered a new one, a hashtag of epic proportions. #SampleSunday. It goes along the lines of #FF and #MentionMondays, but it's for samples you want to show. Samples of anything I image, but for me it's great because I can easily show people samples of my writing. What I'm working on, what I've finished, I can show it all to people and find out if I'm on the right track. Is my writing intriguing people? Will they want to read more after reading my samples? Even if all someone does is give advice or critiques my sample that's great. People are seeing and reacting to it.

So here is my sample, a little opening to Being Human that I'm not 100% sure will make it in the story. My friend, Erin, and I were discussing prologues and the possibility of having one. This is what I came up with. It's Tommy's turning from the attacking vampire's POV.

Not me.

The two words were frantic and terrified. It wasn't surprising, most humans reacted in fear of him. What was surprising was the amount of terror. He hadn't expected that of the boy. Ones like this boy tended to know, understand that deep down this wasn't the end. He looked back into the terror-filled eyes, hearing more.
This can't be happening! Not to me! Why didn't I just back down? Admit defeat? It doesn't matter what Justin or any of them think! Dan would have told me that, but he wasn't the one that always got picked on, taunted and called a freak. He was popular and I was just his weird twin that tagged along. Stupid me! Trying to prove that I could be cool. Now all I'll be is dead! I don't want to die!

He pulled from the boy's thoughts, tilting his head. The boy trembled, so certain of his death. He leaned closer, fangs sliding out in response to the thundering heart. Hunger and need gripped him, strangling his words.

“This is not your end.” He managed and buried his fangs in the boy's tender neck as the boy screamed.

6 comments:

  1. It's like it was fate that we connected on facebook, because for the past week I have been thinking to myself, "What the heck are all of those symbols for?!" LOL Thank you, I can now stop squinting in confusion.

    PS I am not one for anything vampire-related (never have been), but I really like what you've written. Your descriptions are vivid, and I can feel the fear and regret the boy is having, and ending it with the boy screaming gave me chills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Krissy! That's a great to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed it's a BIG addiction! Sooner it feels like adding hash to #everything! :)

    It's fun and have to have surprised to find some new hash tag, for example #HaikuHumpDay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I searched the haiku hashtag and I think I may be addicted! Thanks Moonomo!

    ReplyDelete