Sunday, December 26, 2010

What am I going to do?

Yesterday I achieved what I wanted. I rewrote a part of my story that bugged me. I felt it was too long, maybe dragging on and there had to be a better way to write it. So I spent all day working at it. I wrote a few paragraphs then deleted them. Copied and pasted sections I wanted to keep then deleted them. I worked and worked, gaining a few inches but giving up feet. At one point, I stopped for dinner and a short walk with my boyfriend. Then I went back at it. Finally, around midnight, I finished. I didn't do the rewrites I thought I would and I didn't cut a ton, but it was different. It was rearranged, cut, added and then some. I was happy and that's what mattered. I printed out the rewrite, emailed it to my friend, Erin, who is kindly reading through it multiple times with a red pen, (she is having fun and doing a great job, I can't thank her enough!) Then I went to bed.

Now it's a new day and I'm thinking maybe I need to take a break from Tommy and his world. Just set his story aside and.... What am I going to do?

Seriously, folks, what am I going to do? I've been slaving away at Tommy's story for months! The idea of working on something else or *gasp* not writing at all has become SCARY! There are things I need to do, a move to finish packing for, jewelry or knitting that needs to be worked on, piles of books to read, but when I think about not working on Being Human I hit a blank wall. It's truly hard to think of doing something else when I've committed so much time into this one story! Even now, my blog is still talking about Tommy, my mind consumed with the events of his life.

What am I going to do?

There's more to that question than what this moment holds for me. One day Being Human will be done. It will be as finished as it can get and I'll set it free into the world (aka be published, remember to think positive!) and I'll be asking myself what am I going to do now with no idea what the answer is. I'll sit in a stump, knowing there's plenty for me to do, but not quite ready to dive into the next story (or pick up my knitting needles or finish that bracelet I started months ago.) Eventually, I'll recover and start the process over, diving into the next story, getting so absorbed that when I think of taking a break or the time comes for the story to be done, I'll stare, terrified and thinking, "What am I going to do now????"


I can not wait!

6 comments:

  1. Start working on your query letter now!! Or finish it ... or refine it ... but you gotta get ready for the next step with this story ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your form of taking a break should be to start writing something else. Sure, its scary. You've been with the characters in your novel for so long it would feel like you're abandoning them. But, as you say, eventually you'll have to anyway. Setting them free to be enjoyed by everyone. So take a break, start a new short story, a new novel, or just some rambling that could turn into THE novel of a lifetime.

    It might clear your brain so that when you return to Being Human, those characters will thank you for it.

    I like what Erin says too, in her comment above.

    Most importantly, just keep writing. Even if its a journal to yourself. Just my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walk through the thoughts ringing in your mind... then on you will know what is next c",)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Your blog was recently tagged as Blog-A-Licious! Do keep your great posts coming!
    Cheers - Dora
    http://peacefrompieces.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already love what I've read thus far. When the time comes that you need a crit partner or just some fresh eyes, let me know. I'd be more than happy to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the offer. I think the hardest part I'm having to deal with is query letters and letting another read it. Can't quash the terror of "What if they hate it?" Hmmm, think I have a new blog idea...

    ReplyDelete