Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Up and over the hills

Two days ago I absolutely hated part one of my story. I was reading through it and it just didn't sit right with me. It felt choppy, badly written and I was in a bad mood. Nothing felt right that day, I didn't even feel right.

Next day, was better I was better. I printed out part one, read through it again and it didn't seem so bad. I rearranged a couple paragraphs, added some sentences, deleted some too. There was only one part I wanted to improve, a chapter in the end I'd like to move to another spot and a new one in its place.

I felt like I was on a roller coaster those two days, going up and down at a blindingly fast speed. This morning as I thought about it, I had some really good ideas on the past two days and what I'd write for this post. Naturally, and because it was 6am when I thought the ideas up, I forgot. Oops. Guess I should have gotten out my cell and typed it all down like I do story ideas.

Ups and downs will be part of the journey, the road is not straight or flat. It curves and rises, sometimes so sharply you can't see where you're going until that moment. Some days I will love everything I write and refuse to change a thing. Others I will hate what I write and what has already been written. Those days are the days to take a break, kick back and relax, watch a movie, read a book (I have a few piles waiting to be read!) Forget I want to publish a story at all. Right now I have that luxury, I haven't contacted any agents and I'm still in the process of refining what I want to submit. I have time. (Although that was part of my bad day two days ago, thinking about my approaching birthday and the ticktock of life slipping by. Growing old can be really depressing when you're almost to 30!)

I guess that is my sage-like advice for the day. When you have a bad day, kick back read a book, go for a walk, draw or even take a nap. It won't last and before you know it, you'll be eager and ready to go in no time. Plus who wants to slave away (even at something you enjoy) all the time?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have part two to print out on my nice new laser printer and some more editing to do, (which a reliable source has told me never ends!)

No comments:

Post a Comment